HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > The National Heritage List for England Result

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD VICARAGE

List Entry Number: 1370472

Location

THE OLD VICARAGE, WEST ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: 
District: Northumberland
District Type: Unitary Authority
Parish: Ovingham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.


Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 239477


Asset Groupings

This List entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.


List Entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 0863 - 0963 OVINGHAM WEST ROAD

22/122 The Old Vicarage 20/10/52 GV II*



House. Front block right bay C15, the rest mainly various C17 dates and early C19 but probably with medieval core. Mainly squared stone with Welsh and stone slate roof. 2 storeys. L-shaped. Front block has doorway right of centre. 4 later semicircular steps up to roundheaded door with moulded imposts and pendant keystone. 2 windows left and one right, formerly 4-light mullioned but now all but ground floor left are early C20 casements in original chamfered reveals. Moulded ground floor string rising above door. Also first floor string. This facade early/mid C17. On right return a 2-light C15 window with cusped heads. Projecting wing to rear has date 1694 for Thomas Addison over door with TA flattened Tudor arch in square chamfered surround. Also large projecting chimney breast, partly renewed, projecting brick bread oven, one mullioned window and various later windows. Rear of this wing has various C18-C20 sashes under C17 hoodmoulds. Rear of front block is early C19 thickening with 12- and 6-pane sashes but incorporating a C17 two-storey porch with Tudor-arched doorway. Panel above door in memory of John Bigge, killed 1919. Gabled roofs with one stone corniced end stack, one similar ridge stack and 2 rebuilt stacks.

Interior has blocked, possibly late medieval, doorway with broadly-chamfered surround and flat lintel with rounded shoulders. This has drawbar tunnels and was probably an outside door. It is in right ground floor room with C15 window. Large fireplace in centre ground floor room has flattened Tudor arch and plaster reliefs of oak leaves inside fireplace. Further large segmental-headed fireplace in former kitchen with nailhead on each voussoir. Early C19 staircase but stone newel of former stair remains. Plaster frieze in upper room with pairs of affronted dragons; and fleurs de lys in corners of ceiling.

The house was a cell of Hexham Abbey.

Three Jacobean Houses by H. Honeyman: Archeologia Aeliana 4thS. XXXI 1953

Listing NGR: NZ0850263635


Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Archaeologia Aeliana' in Archaeologia Aeliana, , Vol. 31, (1953)

Map

National Grid Reference: NZ 08502 63635


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Mar-2019 at 04:23:24.