HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > National Trust HBSMR Result
National Trust HBSMRPrintable version | About National Trust HBSMR

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


NT HBSMR Number:14633
Type of Record:Monument
Name:Limekiln complex east of the harbour, Beadnell, Seahouses

Summary

Limekilns to east of Beadnell Harbour. In November 1798 it was agreed that Richard Pringle should build a limekiln measuring 24 ft in height on the pier at Beadnell, which should have a pot 16 ft in diameter at the top and 9ft diameter at the bottom. John Wood from whose estate the coal and limestone were extracted, would complete the harbour there and maintain it in good repair. The kiln was expected to produce at least a thousand cart loads of lime each year, to be exported by sea to other ports in England and Scotland.
The lime sold well so that John Wood built a second and third kiln on the site. The coal and limestone were brought to the top of the kiln on a tramway. A load of coal was used to burn two loads of limestone. Three circular kilns c.30ft tall, divided at ground level by tunnel-vaulted passages. Each kiln has three segmental drawing arches decreasing in size inwards. Most southerly kiln has partly collapsed on seaward side and temporary joists have been used to add support to kiln arches.

Grid Reference:NU 237 285
Civil Parish:Beadnell; Northumberland
NT Property:Seahouses; Yorkshire and North East
Map: All our Monument records are mapped in NT Heritage Records Online.

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Other References/Statuses

  • HER/SMR Reference (External) (Northumberland HER): 5790
  • National Monuments Record Reference: 1465621

Monument Types

  • LIME KILN (Late 18th C - 1767 AD to 1800 AD)

Full description

Limekilns to east of Beadnell Harbour. Built in 1798 and later extended by Richard Pringle for John Wood. Three circular kilns c.30ft tall, divided at ground level by tunnel-vaulted passages. Each kiln has three segmental drawing arches decreasing in size inwards. Most southerly kiln has partly collapsed on seaward side.
Identified by RCZA on AP: RAF S629 29 22-OCT-1941

By 1822 trade at the kiln had declined and the kiln eyes used for curing herring. (3)

Group of preserved 18th century limekilns by the harbour. Used for storage by fishermen. (4)

Limekilns, restored by The National Trust. Exposed to marine erosion, sea and spray. See photographs C12-13 and slides Y29-30. (5)

A well preserved group of three circular commercial lime kilns located at the north end of Beadnell Bay. They consist of one original central kiln of 1798 with two later additions. The kilns, of random coursed sandstone masonry with limited coursing, stand over c.9m high, are divided at ground level by tunnel vaulted passages and have a single circular pot each. Two kilns have three segmental draw arches whilst the north west kiln has an additional arch. Other features include a harbour (NU 22 NW 20) to the south west for the export of lime by sea to Scottish markets and the remains of a charging ramp to the rear. A large quarry, 0.7km to the north west, supplied the limestone. Now used by local fishermen to store lobster pots. (6)

Sources / Further Reading

---SNA64311 - Report: Archaeo-Environment Ltd. 2009. Historic Environment Survey for the National Trust properties on the Northumberland Coast - Beadnell Links and the Limekilns.

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • ENA5916 - Historic Environment Survey for the NT Properties on the Northumberland Coast - Beadnell Links and the Limekilns

Related records: none recorded