HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > The National Heritage List for England Result

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NEW GOVERNMENT OFFICES (HM TREASURY) AND ARCHWAY LINK WITH FOREIGN OFFICE AT EAST END OF KING CHARLES STREET NEW GOVERNMENT OFFICES AND ARCHWAY LINK WITH FOREIGN OFFICE AT EAST END OF KING CHARLES STREET

List Entry Number: 1066103

Location

NEW GOVERNMENT OFFICES (HM TREASURY) AND ARCHWAY LINK WITH FOREIGN OFFICE AT EAST END OF KING CHARLES STREET, WHITEHALL SW1
NEW GOVERNMENT OFFICES AND ARCHWAY LINK WITH FOREIGN OFFICE AT EAST END OF KING CHARLES STREET, KING CHARLES STREET SW1
NEW GOVERNMENT OFFICES AND ARCHWAY LINK WITH FOREIGN OFFICE AT EAST END OF KING CHARLES STREET, PARLIAMENT SQUARE SW1

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority
District: City of Westminster
District Type: London Borough
Parish: 

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1970

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.


Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 207602


Asset Groupings

This List entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.


List Entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2979 NE and 3079 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER WHITEHALL SW1 91/6 ;92/28 (West side) 5.2.70 New Government Offices (HM Treasury) and Archway Link with Foreign Office at East End of King Charles Street GV II* Government offices. 1898-1901 by John Brydon, completed with modifications in 1912 by the government architect Sir Henry Tanner. Portland stone with leaded and slate roofs. A massive, quadrangular, English Baroque revival building extending through to St. James's Park with central, vast, circular courtyard (echoing the Jones-Webb Whitehall Palace scheme) entered by triple archways from side streets on same axis as the archways to Foreign Office. 4 storeys, with rusticated ground floor and mezzanine on basement and 2 upper storeys articulated by engaged Corinthian column order, and angle pavilions with belvedere storeys or 3 tier Baroque cupolas. Symmetrical facade; 17 windows wide to Whitehall, including one window angle pavilions and 5-bay centrepiece with tetrastyle pedimented portico centre break; 33-window range to Parliament Square and Great George Street with angle pavilions and recessed,9-window wide, centre with tetrastyle portico over triple archway flanked by cupola-pavilions; 4-window extension and lower quadrant return to Park front. Semicircular arched portal to Whitehall (beneath portico) with flanking columns and pediment. Recessed glazing bar sashes in pilastered frames with alternating pediments on main 2nd floor. Coupled columns to portico with carved pediment set against blind attic and coupled pilasters to angle pavilions surmounted by belvedere attics with inscribed,Vanbrughian,Venetian windows and coupled Ionic pilaster order. Tall entablature over mezzanine with blind balustrades to 2nd floor windows; deep main entablature with modillion bracket cornice and balustraded parapets. Parliament Square - Great George Street front has coupled column portico above triple archway with pediment set against attic which has oculi in flanking sections of the recessed centre; the 3 tier,Wren inspired cupolas the flanking pavilions have diagonally set rusticated columns to their main stages; the long ranges between the angle pavilions are not articulated by the Corinthian order on their upper floors but have the alternating pedimented 2nd floor windows, 2 of them as Venetian windows with carved festoon and "linge" enrichments to the windows above; the Corinthian order reappears in the 4-window west extension. The Park front resembles that to Whitehall but with 3 storey quadrant corners in place of angle pavilions; they have engaged Ionic colonnades and echo Scott's adjoining Foreign Office. At the east end of King Charles Street is a triple archway (contains passage- way link in its attic to the Foreign Office) with engaged Doric columns and large scale figure sculpture enrichment by J. R. Mountfield. Balustraded parapet to basement area, extended out to Storey's Gate, to link with small stone kiosk and terminating in large corniced pier crowned by an urn. The main circular courtyard has arcaded ground floor and an engaged Corinthian order above. The interior has a large, double branching grand staircase; the reinforced concrete basement at the Park end contains the "War Rooms", Sir Winston Churchill's flat and office "bunker" during World War II. Architectural Review; vol 24, 1908 and vol 28, 1910.

Listing NGR: TQ2995679753


Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Architectural Review' in Architectural Review, , Vol. 28, (1910)
'Architectural Review' in Architectural Review, , Vol. 24, (1908)

Map

National Grid Reference: TQ 29956 79753


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 03:19:36.