HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > The National Heritage List for England Result

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH HOUSE

List Entry Number: 1097318

Location

CHURCH HOUSE, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon
District: Teignbridge
District Type: District Authority
Parish: Abbotskerswell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.


Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 84727


Asset Groupings

This List entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.


List Entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 86 NE ABBOTSKERSWELL MAIN STREET Abbotskerswell 3/23 Church House - 23.8.55 GV II Church house used as village hall. Mid C16 restored in 1913-14. Limestone rubble walls and gable ended slate roof on chamfered stone cornice. 3 rubble stacks; the left-hand gable stack is corbelled and the right-hand gable stack projects. Projecting lateral stack at front. Probably 2 room plan originally from positions of stacks - one larger room heated by lateral stack and smaller room heated by gable stack. Newel stairs in larger room on opposite wall to fireplace. Probably one room on first floor heated by corbelled gable end stack. Access by external stone staircase at rear as well as newel stairs on the same wall. 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 4 window front of 2, 3 and 4 light early C20 wooden mullions with 4 centred arched heads and 'leaded' panes. Wooden lintels. Wall projects slightly towards right-hand end and on the ground floor there is original heavy round-headed chamfered wooden doorframe. To its left is a similar early C20 fascimile doorway which is narrorwer. The chimney projects to left of centre. C19 outshut against right gable end. Interior: Good quality beamed ceiling to ground floor rooms of chamfered cross beams with hollow step stops and similarly decorated joists. Some beams rest on chamfered wood corbels. Half beam at right-hand gable end appears to have pyramid stops. Fireplaces are blocked. The roof timbers date from the early C20 restoration and consists of common rafters exposed upto collar height and chamfered. Original square-headed wooden doorframe to newel stairs survives on first floor, chamfered with masons's mitres. Stone newel stairs. Documentary evidence relates that on 24th November 1542 the Abbot of Sherbourne gave to "our parish Church of Kerswell Abbot" a parcel of land on which is built the church house. Despite the C20 restoration, this church house remains virtually unaltered in form, preserving some good quality internal features, with more possibly concealed, and is a good example of its kind occupying a very prominent position in the village centre. Source Devon Sites and Monuments Register.

Listing NGR: SX8570368753


Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

Map

National Grid Reference: SX 85703 68753


© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 05:27:05.