HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > The National Heritage List for England Result

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List Entry Number: 1126476



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire
District: East Cambridgeshire
District Type: District Authority
Parish: Isleham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Nov-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48821

Asset Groupings

This List entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List Entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 6474 ISLEHAM CHURCH STREET (North Side) 14/10 Priory Church of St. Margaret of Antioch /formerly listed as Priory (now barn)7 1.12.51


A small Benedictine priory of c.1080-90 built by Count John and given to the abbey of St. Jacut in Brittany. Later it was used as a barn and now it is in the care of the Department of the Environment. Although restoration has taken place, the priory is substantially intact and remains a rare example of Romanesque work. The walls are principally of clunch laid in herringbone pattern with Barnack limestone plinth and dressings to door and window openings. The roofs have been rebuilt and that of the nave has been raised. Plan of nave, choir and apsed sanctuary, originally with a semi-domical roof. The west end has two C16 buttresses of flint with red brick quoins and a single round- headed lancet window. The barn doors in the north and south walls of the nave are also probably of the C16. The south doorway of the choir and most of the window openings are C13 with Caernarvon heads. The apse has original pilaster buttresses of Barnack. Interior. Round-headed choir arch, double recessed and unmoulded, on responds each with two attached half round columns with cushion capitals and splayed bases. Vacant nook shafts on west side. Sanctuary arch has been demolished but the rectangular piers have survived with moulded capitals and bases. At the west end of the nave there are three bulls eye window openings. RCHM: Record Card. Pevsner: Buildings of England, p.416.

Listing NGR: TL6424574349

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 416


National Grid Reference: TL 64245 74349

© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2019 at 02:51:49.