HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > The National Heritage List for England Result

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SUDELEY CASTLE

List Entry Number: 1154791

Location

SUDELEY CASTLE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire
District: Tewkesbury
District Type: District Authority
Parish: Sudeley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Sep-1987


Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 134929


Asset Groupings

This List entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.


List Entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SUDELEY -
SP 0227-0327
14/143 Sudeley Castle
(formerly listed as part of Sudeley
4.7.60 Castle and remains of the Grange)
GV I
Former castle, now country house. Mid C15 for Ralph Boteler; late
C15 for Richard III; much altered c1572 for Lord Chandos, mid C19
for J. Dent by Sir G.G. Scott, later C19 for Mrs. E. Dent by J.D.
Wyatt, early C20 by M. Anderson, 1930's by W.H. Godfrey for Major
Dent-Brocklehurst. Coursed, squared stone and ashlar, stone slate
roofs, lead flats, probably Welsh slate roofs. Large, rectangular
outer courtyard, west wing extended as side of inner courtyard,
opposite side ruins of Great Presence Chamber: 2 and 3 storeys,
higher towers. North, exterior face: late C19 tower on left,
plinth, 3-light mullion and transom window to ground and first
floors, string courses as hoodmoulds, 2-light similar above,
moulded head on consoles, string course, crenellations, higher at
corners. To right, C16 work: 4-light mullion and transom, with
king mullion, 6-light similar above with 2 king mullions. Wall
sets forward slightly to right, double boarded doors to gate in 4-
centred arch, 2-light mullion each side; above 2 oriel windows,
each with 2-light mullion and transom windows, hipped roofs. Set
back on right, 2 and 4-light mullioned or mullion and transom
windows, above three 4-light mullion and transom, one 6-light.
Moulded string course and crenellations run through from corner
tower, hipped roof, 6 chimneys, moulded caps. Inner walls of outer
courtyard: north side, corner turrets at ends; plinth, boarded
door, moulded arris to opening, 4-centred head with plain
spandrels; 2-light mullion on left return of turret; to left wide
archway, 4-centred head, chamfer to arris, single-light window each
side. Beyond 4-light mullion window each side of half-glazed door
in opening as first door: corner turret with boarded door on right
return as first, 2-light mullioned window main face. Above, string
course as hoodmould; 2-light mullion window each face of corner
turrets; between three 4-light mullion and transom windows, king
mullion, moulded string course, crenellated parapet. Right, east
wing; windows all 4-light mullion and transom, reserved chamfer,
king mullion, string course as hoodmould: doors boarded, moulded
surround, 4-centred arch, plain spandrel. Ground floor, plinth,
single window each end, 4 doors with 2 windows between each; first
floor 8 windows; crenellated parapet, 5 ashlar chimneys with
moulded caps. Great Presence Chamber at end of east range: east
and north walls only remain. From outside, octagonal stair turret
on right, lancets, string course and moulded head. To left,
plinth, 2 former mullion and transom windows, tracery gone,
relieving arch over, scrolls to flat hoodmould on left. Chimney
breast, 4-light mullion and transom window, cusped heads to lights,
flat head, hoodmould with scrolled ends. Above: 4-light mullioned
window, king mullion, 2 transoms, crenellations to sill; buttress
and high up each side 4-light window, as main but no transoms,
plain sill. Below left window open back to fireplace and flue.
Oriel window to left, 3-light mullioned window, 2 transoms. Inside
flying 4-centred arch to right ground-floor window, panelled vault
behind in wall thickness. Above, floor gone: fireplace with flat
stone lintel, moulded arris, blind tracery to reveals of tall
windows, moulded sill to shorter, start of fan vaulting over
oriel. On left return 9-light mullioned window high up, 4 king
mullions, moulded sill, end lights blind, 3-centred arch.
Interior north and east range: ground floor on east; Library,
bolection-moulded panelling, wide c1572 stone fireplace reset from
elsewhere in building, fluted columns each side, carved heads on
cornice, egg-and-dart frieze; carved panels over doors, stained
glass to upper parts of windows. Adjoining panelled room, Ionic
pilasters above dado, moulded cornice, stone fireplace surround.
Main stairs; open well, moulded string and rail, spiral balusters,
square newels with knob finials, dado panelling, 1580 stained glass
in windows. First floor, Katherine Parr room to south, largely
1847ff decoration, stone door surrounds, 4-centred arches, ornate
timber surrounds with crocketed frieze, linen-fold panelling,
ornate fireplace surround and overmantel with nodding ogee head:
carved wooden cornice, moulded plaster ceiling with pendants,
stained glass to windows, some C17. North drawing room 12-panelled
doors, ornate carved surround to fireplace: some C17 glass to
north stair windows, otherwise C19 painted. Room over gateway:
wide stone fireplace with 1930's strapwork frieze, 12 panel doors,
moulded plaster ceiling. Billiard room beyond, small-panelled
panelling, dado, strapwork Corinthian pilasters, carved frieze,
strapwork doors, ornate surround and overmantel to fireplace,
moulded plaster ceiling, stained glass to upper part windows. Last
home of Katherine Parr, Henry VIII's widow; castle slighted 1649,
purchased by Dents in 1837 and restored by them.
(S. Rudder, A New History of Gloucestershire, 1779; papers at
Sudeley Castle; Country Life, 1940; P.A. Faulkner, Archaeological
Journal, 1965; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds, 1970)


Listing NGR: SP0310027668


Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Country Life - Date: 1940 - Journal Title: Country Life
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Archaeological Journal - Date: 1965 - Journal Title: Archaeological Journal
  3. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 16 Gloucestershire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds - Date: 1970
  5. Book  Reference - Author: Rudder, S - Title: A New History of Gloucestershire - Date: 1779

Map

National Grid Reference: SP 03098 27667


© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2011. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 12:17:27.