HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > The National Heritage List for England Result

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List Entry Number: 1156083

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire
District: Cotswold
District Type: District Authority
Parish: Maiseyhampton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.


Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 129083


Asset Groupings

This List entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.


List Entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 10 SW MAISEYHAMPTON CHURCH STREET (east side) 4/241 Meysey Hampton Church of St Mary the Virgin

GV II*

Small Anglican Church. C13, consecrated in 1269, with alterations of C14 mainly to chancel, restored 1872-4 by James Brooks. Rubble stone partly coursed with small sloping buttresses to east and south ends, stone slate roof with coped verges arid cross finials. Mainly Early English, with some Decorated work. Cruciform with nave and chancel, north and south transepts and crossing tower, south porch, and late north vestry in different stone with catslide roof. Crossing tower of one stage, square with twin belfrey lancets on each face with sill band, string course above and embattled parapet with corner gargoyles. Nave and transepts have single or twin lancets with string course below. Gabled porch in centre of south wall with Early English moulded archway. Chancel has three 2- light C14 windows on south side, one twin trefoil-head in arched surround nearest crossing, and two twin ogee-head in square moulded surrounds, that in centre cut short by projection of tomb recess in chancel. East window of 3 lights with 3 tiers of trefoils above and double border of ballflowers. Interior: Nave roof of 5 bays, restored and lowered probably in 1870s but reusing original medieval curved bracing to tie beams. Wagon roofs to transepts and chancel. Simple pointed-arch crossing with 4 triple stepped arches carried on angled piers with polygonal attached columns on inner faces. Shouldered arch above facing nave originally reached by stairway from nave into ringing chamber of tower. Chancel has restored tomb recess in north east corner possibly of c1310 with cusped cinquefoil canopy, ogee arch and shield panels to chest. On wall behind is a triple hagioscope originally affording view of chancel from side chapel since removed. On south side, 4 crocketed and pinnacleti canopies of C14 with piscina and credence and 3 sedilia, adjoined by ogee tomb recess which projects out at back of wall. Fragments of medieval stained glass set into several chancel windows including complete quatrefoil of St Michael in south east corner. North transept has several wall memorials including very large painted stone memorial to Dr James Vaulx shown with 2 wives as 3 half length portrait effigies and predella panels of kneeling children, of c1625. Lectern inscribed "Christian Jacketts 1622" with original chain for bible. Almsbox predating 1547 edict for all boxes to have 3 locks - this box has one. (D. Verey, Buildings of England: Gloucestershire - The Cotswolds, 1979.)------- -- ---------

Listing NGR: SP1170600060


Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

Map

National Grid Reference: SP 11706 00060


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 01:52:15.