HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > The National Heritage List for England Result

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MILLEY'S HOSPITAL

List Entry Number: 1187347

Location

MILLEY'S HOSPITAL, 7, BEACON STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire
District: Lichfield
District Type: District Authority
Parish: Lichfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Jun-1994


Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 382549


Asset Groupings

This List entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.


List Entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LICHFIELD

SK1109NW BEACON STREET 1094-1/4/4 (South West side) 05/02/52 No.7 Milley's Hospital (Formerly Listed as: Milley Hospital)

GV II*

Almshouse. 1504 with later alterations, late C18 rear addition and extensive restoration of 1906 by C Lynham; addition of 1985-7. For Dr Thomas Milley. Brick with ashlar dressings; tile roof with brick end stacks, that to right large and to front of ridge. EXTERIOR: Tudor style. 2 storeys with attic; symmetrical 5-window range. Entrance in 2-storey gabled porch has elliptical brick arch and wide-boarded door; window above has pilaster strips and pediment, and 2-light casement with iron opening casement; apron panel with inscription recording the foundation; 1906 flanking single-chamfered lights and end 3-light single-chamfered-mullioned windows; 2 gabled dormers; all with leaded glazing. Rear has gabled wing, the left return wall of which was moved back in 1906, with end gabled wing and re-entrant stair wing; similar windows and some 2-light casements; left return has segmental-headed windows with terracotta sills and 4-pane casements. C20 wing to rear. INTERIOR: inner entrance has original door with strap hinges; hall has stop-chamfered beams, close-studded partition walls and doorways with slight ogee heads and plank doors; 1st floor and corridors to wings have similar details, some 3-panel doors and one with wooden latch; chapel to 1st floor centre has simple details: plain benches and window with C17 or C18 latch; open well stick-baluster staircase. HISTORY: the hospital was founded in 1424 and re-founded 1502-4 by Dr Milley for almswomen; it is built on the site of the town ditch. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: P.192; Victoria History of the County of Stafford: Oxford: 1970-: P.275-8).

Listing NGR: SK1135509759


Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1970), 275-8

Map

National Grid Reference: SK 11355 09759


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 11:16:55.