HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > The National Heritage List for England Result

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BOILER AND ENGINE HOUSE AT GOLDSTONE PUMPING STATION

List Entry Number: 1187600

Location

BOILER AND ENGINE HOUSE AT GOLDSTONE PUMPING STATION, WOODLAND DRIVE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: 
District: The City of Brighton and Hove
District Type: Unitary Authority
Parish: 

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Jun-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Nov-1992


Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 365677


Asset Groupings

This List entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.


List Entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOVE

TQ2806NE WOODLAND DRIVE, West Blatchington 579-1/8/180 (East side) 07/06/71 Boiler and Engine House at Goldstone Pumping Station (Formerly Listed as: WOODLAND DRIVE The Goldstone Pumping Station)

GV II*

Boiler house and engine house of Goldstone Pumping station, now museum known as the British Engineerium. 1866 for the Brighton Hove and Preston Constant Service Water Supply Company, engineers Easton and Amos, enlarged with west engine house in 1876 for the Brighton Water Corporation, engineers Eastons and Anderson, ceased to be fully operational in the late 1940s, restored 1974-6. Polychrome brickwork, yellow, red and blue-purple, with some moulded brick, slate roofs with skylights, coped verges. Plan: 2-storey beam engine houses flanking single storey boilerhouse, No.1 beam engine to east dismanted and now museum, No 2 beam engine (west) fully operational, fuel economiser room on north front, underground tunnel linking former coal shed (qv) to west, remains of underground railway tracks. South front: gable-fronted 2-storey, 3-bay engine houses, pediment to gable end, bracketed cornice, all cast-iron windows, linked entablature to round-headed window openings, continuous decorative string linking whole range, rusticated ground floors with central round-headed doorways, fanlights and panelled double doors flanked by round-headed windows, all with linked entablatures; central single-storey range of 3 bays, similar windows flanking central bay which projects forward with strongly moulded cornice, segmental-headed opening, fanlight, panelled double doors with ornamental metal grills. 4-bay return right, renewed cast-iron railings returned from entrance north around west front. Operational Eastons and Anderson beam engine dated 1872, 4 boilers by Yates and Thom, Blackburn, dated 1934, E. Green and Son fuel economiser.

Listing NGR: TQ2853006549


Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Map

National Grid Reference: TQ 28530 06549


© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2011. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2014 at 05:50:44.