HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > The National Heritage List for England Result

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LAW MONUMENT BY CHURCHYARD ENTRANCE TO NORTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List Entry Number: 1187745

Location

LAW MONUMENT BY CHURCHYARD ENTRANCE TO NORTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire
District: Lichfield
District Type: District Authority
Parish: Lichfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Jun-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.


Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 382622


Asset Groupings

This List entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.


List Entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LICHFIELD

SK1209NW CHURCH STREET 1094-1/6/70 (South side) Law monument by churchyard entrance to north-east of Church of St Michael

GV II

Monument to James Thomas Law, Chancellor of the Diocese and Master of the Hospital of St John, d.1876, and his wife Henrietta Charlotte, d.1866. 1864. By Chancellor Law. Ashlar with some stippled tooling. Rectangular monument on 2 steps has 3 trefoil-headed arches to sides and 2 to ends; drip course, deep frieze with guilloche moulding and top cornice with brattishing; pyramidal ashlar roof and finial with cross in heavy roundel. Arches have no mouldings; square piers have capitals with mouldings to sides; iron rails within arches. 2 gabled slabs inside have inscriptions. Originally had clock illuminated by gas to top roundel, for people using the main road to Burton and the Trent Valley Railway Station. Chancellor Law was an important local benefactor.

Listing NGR: SK1239409627


Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

Map

National Grid Reference: SK 12394 09627


© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2017 at 06:22:56.