HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > The National Heritage List for England Result

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List Entry Number: 1188343



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire
District: Harrogate
District Type: District Authority
Parish: Follifoot

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Mar-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Dec-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 330676

Asset Groupings

This List entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List Entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


(east side, off)

4/13 Rudding Park House
(formerly listed under
8.3.52 Rudding Park House, stables
and Follifoot gateway)


Large house. Begun 1805 and completed after 1824. For the Honourable
William Gordon and Sir Joseph Radcliffe, in the style of Wyatt, but original
architect unknown. Completed by R D Chantrell. Ashlar, Westmorland slate
roof. Two storeys, 13 x 7 first-floor windows to main block, with narrow
rear wing with 4 first-floor windows. East facade: central half-glazed
double doors with flanking windows, and attached Tuscan columns beneath 4-
column Tuscan portico raised on 3 steps, with plain entablature. Flanking
2-storey bows each contain 3 windows, and all are 15-pane unequally-hung
sashes to ground floor. First floor - sashes with glazing bars throughout.
Projecting first-floor and sill bands. Moulded eaves cornice, blocking
course. Hipped roof. Ridge stacks flanking portico, and 3 further stacks
towards rear. Rear: left - ground-floor, wide entrance to left, round-
arched opening to left again. Sashes with glazing bars to right and to
first floor. Projecting central rear wing has quoins and 2 sashes with
glazing bars to first floor; eaves returns and ashlar gable coping with
central corniced stack. Wall with lean-to addition attached to this gable
end is described separately (q.v.). Rear: right - 2-storey bow-window with sashes
with glazing bars to each floor as main facade. Interior not inspected
in detail at resurvey. Central entrance hall has double door flanked by
niches, leading to staircase hall behind. Double 6-panel doors to left lead
to drawing room with original marble fire surround, ceiling cornice and
ceiling panels. Doors to right lead to the dining room, with original fire
surround. The staircase hall has a central glazed stair well. Imperial
The balustrade is white-painted iron with scroll pattern alternating with
plain uprights and mahogony handrail. The blue drawing room and the library
are on the south side of the house. The library contains original white
marble fireplace with fluted columns, glazed mahogany bookshelves with
cupboards beneath, probably of 1825, and fine plaster ceiling. A balustrade
over the portico was removed between 1949 and 1972. In 1984-85 extensive
service rooms were demolished in the north-west angle of the house and rear
wing, together with a single-storey corridor linking the house and church
(q.v.). Rudding Park was owned by the Earl of Rosslyn, who died in 1805,
when it was sold by his nephew to the Hon William Gordon who demolished the
old house and began the construction of the present building, to the north-
east. In 1824 Gordon sold the unfinished property to Sir Joseph Radcliffe
who employed R D Chantrell, the architect of Leeds Parish Church, to
complete it. In 1972 Sir Everard and Lady Radcliffe sold the estate to Mr
A Oswald, Rudding Park Yorkshire, I, Country Life, Feb 4, 1949.
S H,"Rudding Park, Harrogate, Yorkshire", The Antique Collector, 1972,
pp 180-191.
N Pevsner, Buildings of England, Yorkshire West Riding, 1967, pp 424-5.

Listing NGR: SE3341853164

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: The Antique Collector - Date: 1972 - Journal Title: The Antique Collector - Page References: 180-191
  2. Article  Reference - Title: 4 February - Date: 1949 - Journal Title: Country Life
  3. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 32 North Yorkshire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding - Date: 1967


National Grid Reference: SE 33418 53164

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2011. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 11:26:53.