HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > The National Heritage List for England Result

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MERRYN

List Entry Number: 1212764

Location

CHURCH OF ST MERRYN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: 
District: Cornwall
District Type: Unitary Authority
Parish: St. Merryn

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 20-May-1988


Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 397263


Asset Groupings

This List entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.


List Entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW87SE ST MERRYN ST MERRYN

1525/3/267 Church of St Merryn (Formerly listed as:

ST MERRYN Church of St Marina) 6.6.69

GV II*

Parish church dedicated to St Merryn. Probably Norman origins, extended in C15 and restored 1887-1907 and again in 1962. Stone rubble and slate roofs. PLAN: Norman origins with remains of Norman arch to west tower. North transept circa C13 and 7-bay south aisle added in C15. EXTERIOR: quoins of west tower rebuilt in 1962. 2 stages with set back corner buttresses, (relocated on top of the north buttresses there are 2 circa C15 carved Catacleuse angel corbels holding shields), battlemented parapet with crocketed finials. C15 moulded arch to west door, 3-light Perpendicular west window and 2-light belfry openings. Catacleuse stone Perpendicular tracery with 3-light windows in south aisle, the east windows with C19 Perpendicular tracery and circa C14 lancet window in north transept. INTERIOR: Cl5 unceiled waggon roofs with moulded ribs and carved wall plates and bosses. Ceiled simple chancel roof. Chamfered 4-centred tower arch. Cl5 7-bay arcade to south aisle with type A (Pevsner) piers and 4-centred moulded arches of Catacleuse stone. C19 furnishings with remains of C16 bench end. Fine quality circa C15 Catacleuse stone font similar to that in Church of St Petroc, Padstow (qv); round bowl with 12 carved figures of apostles and carved angels on corners; round central shaft with 4 octagonal corner shafts. Plaster Royal coat of arms, by John Abbot in 1662 for Thomas Peter of Harlyn House (qv); restored 1981. MONUMENTS: include those of John Mitchell and family 1617; William Trevathvan of Porthcothen, 1695 and Henry Peter 1821. Stocks dated 1788 in porch. (SOURCES: Pevsner N and Radcliffe E: The Buildings of England: Cornwall: 2nd edition: 1970-; Truro District Sites and Monuments Register-:)



Listing NGR: SW8864174141


Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

Map

National Grid Reference: SW 88641 74141


© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2011. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2014 at 07:15:41.