HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > The National Heritage List for England Result

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List Entry Number: 1227581

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH VIEW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: 
District: Leeds
District Type: Metropolitan Authority
Parish: Thorner

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.


Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 425473


Asset Groupings

This List entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.


List Entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THORNER CHURCH VIEW SE3740 LS14 (east side) 16/175 Church of St. Peter

II

30.3.66 - Parish church. C15 tower, north aisle and arcade piers, reconstructed c1855 by Mallinson and Healey. Creamy-limestone tower, north aisle and part of south aisle, rest rebuilt in gritstone; stone slate roof. West tower, nave, aisles, south porch, chancel embraced by north and south chapels. Perpendicular style. 2-stage embattled tower: plinth, angle buttresses with offsets. 3-light west window with octagonal clock-face above; 2-light belfry windows. South face has small arched doorway to base and 2-light window with chamfered light above. Parapet carried on corbel table, corner pinnacles. 3-bay nave: original 3-light window to left of gabled porch with pointed-arched doorway with richly-moulded surround and colonnettes; angle buttresses; 2 bays to right a C19 copy of 1st bay articulated by offset buttress. North-aisle windows retain original surrounds but replaced tracery. Coped gable surmounted by cross at junction with chancel. 2-bay chapels break forward and have 3-light pointed-arched windows, coped gables with crosses to apex. North chapel has ridge stack with brattished cap. Chancel breaks ½-bay forward of chapels. East end presents 3 gables. 5-light east window with cusped lights and curvilinear tracery.

Interior: pointed-arched arcades with octagonal piers lacking bases with moulded capitals with C19 renewed brattished caps. Similar archways to tower, chancel and chapels. North chapel blocked by organ, C19 king-post roof to nave, arched-braced to chancel. Monuments: south chapel has resited wall tablets, the best raised carved stone slab with good script and heraldic-coat memorial to John Savill of Coppley c1677. Furnishings: C19 pews and choir stalls with carved poppyheads. Prominent within the village. N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (1974)p510. G. Kirk, History of Parish Church of St. Peter, Thorner, (booklet 1935).

Listing NGR: SE3798740539


Selected Sources

Books and journals
Kirk, G , History of the Parish Church of St Peter Thorner, (1935)
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 510

Map

National Grid Reference: SE 37987 40539


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Mar-2019 at 04:59:12.