HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > The National Heritage List for England Result

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Number: 1350325

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CRAWLEY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex
District: Horsham
District Type: District Authority
Parish: North Horsham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Nov-2002

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.


Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 490135


Asset Groupings

This List entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.


List Entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



877/0/10016 CRAWLEY ROAD 11-NOV-02 Roffey CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

II



Church. Built in 1878, architect A W Blomfield, at the expense of Gertrude Martyn. Early English style. Built of snecked local sandstone with Bath stone dressings, tiled roof with ridge tiles and shingled tower roof. Comprises three and a half bay nave, lower two bay chancel, south east porch, south east vestry and south east tower. EXTERIOR: West end of nave has paired lancet window with quatrefoil above. Nave has two triple lancets within arches divided by buttresses and single lancet to right of porch. South east porch is timberframed on stone base with decorated jowled posts, arched braces with cinquefoil motifs to spandrels and triple cinquefoil heads. Gabled vestry with paired lancet with quatrefoil above and arched entrance below. South east tower of four stages with pyramidal-shaped shingled spire with cast iron weathervane. Fourth or bell stage has two arches with wooden louvres, second and third stages have lancets and ground floor has paired arched windows. Octagonal stair turret through to third stage to east. North aisle has seven lancet windows. Chancel has single lancet to south , two paired lancets to north and triple lancet to east. INTERIOR: Arcade with circular columns and pointed arches. Nave roof of seven bays has four trusses with arch braces with hammerbeam and circular ornament near apex supported on stone corbels and intermediate trusses with scissor-bracing. Two tiers of purlins. Octagonal stone font with quatrefoil decoration and green marble colonnettes. C19 wooden confessional. Pulpit has stone base and panelled wooden superstructure with carved vine leaves and grapes below and fretted roses above. Sacristy or vestry has pointed arched stone fireplace, cupboard and wall safe. Large chancel arch with stone corbels and low stone wall with moulded parapet and two steps to chancel. Chancel has arched roof supported on stone corbels and is boarded. Original oak choir, vicar and visiting priest's stalls with fretwork decoration and coloured and patterned tiled floor. Brass wall plaque in north wall to donor's husband Cecil Edward Martyn. Oak communion rails of 1936. 1909 stone reredos with marble table, central wooden cupboard with carving of vulning pelican and mosaic with central pediment with Alpha and Omega letters and side panels of angels swinging thuribles. There is a Walker two manual organ of 1880. A series of Clayton and Bell stained glass windows comprise east window depicting Christ in Majesty, two windows on north side of chancel with scenes from the Gospels, a series of seven saints to both nave and north aisle and a west window depicting the Twelve Apostles. HISTORY: Gertrude Martyn provided this church as a memorial for her husband Cecil Edward Martyn who died in 1870. This building cost between ?4000 and ?5000 to build.

["Buildings of England" Surrey p313.]


Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1982), 313

Map

National Grid Reference: TQ 19607 32200


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Dec-2014 at 01:33:15.