HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > The National Heritage List for England Result

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MEAFORD HALL THE MANOR HOUSE

List Entry Number: 1374198

Location

MEAFORD HALL THE MANOR HOUSE, MEAFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire
District: Stafford
District Type: District Authority
Parish: Stone Rural

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.


Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 272338


Asset Groupings

This List entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.


List Entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STONE RURAL MEAFORD ROAD 1. 5373 Meaford Meaford Hall: The Manor House SJ 83 NE 5/8 24.1.67.

II* 2. Circa 1830. Altered and restored 1874-7,by Burn and McVicar Anderson. Jacobean style. Stone; 3 storeys; slightly projecting bay on right-hand side with stepped gable; stepped gable on left-hand side; 5 (renewed) sash windows overall in keyed surrounds, those to ground storey surmounted by elaborate strapwork entablatures; central doorcase having panelled pilasters with foliated capitals supporting frieze with 3 escutcheons and cornice surmounted by urns; moulded cornice at first floor and at eaves; parapet; coped gable ends; tiles. Good elevation to garden has 3-light canted bay to left and a 3-light convex bay on right-hand side, both tiered over 2 storeys with recessed stepped gables behind the bays; central dormer with semi-circular pediment enclosing shell ornament; pierced parapet. The north side largely reconstructed following demolition (circa 1966) of large wing known as the East India Wing. Interior much altered but entrance hall retains staircase with balustrade of elaborate foliated ironwork and a horizontal-sliding divided iron grille to entrance doorway with wrought panels of foliated design.

Listing NGR: SJ8888935618


Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

Map

National Grid Reference: SJ 88889 35618


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 10:31:54.