HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > The National Heritage List for England Result

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

List Entry Number: 1380049

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CARLTON HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: 
District: The City of Brighton and Hove
District Type: Unitary Authority
Parish: 

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Aug-1971

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.


Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 479523


Asset Groupings

This List entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.


List Entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3104SE CARLTON HILL 577-1/41/109 (North side) 20/08/71 Church of St John the Evangelist

II

Anglican church. 1838-1840. Designed by George Cheeseman Junior for the Rev. Henry Michell Wagner; builders, George Cheeseman and Son. Altered and restored by LA Mackintosh in 1957; since 1986 it has been used by Carlton Hill Greek Orthodox church. Stone, painted brick in Flemish bond, stucco cement. Gable-facing roof, hipped to the north. PLAN: although the elevation suggests that the church is planned on a north-south axis, the axis of the square nave is, in fact, west-east, with a shallow, rectangular chancel recess to the east. Vestry to ritual south-east corner. U-shaped gallery to nave is entered through square vestibules containing stairs to the galleries. Greek Revival style. EXTERIOR: facade of ritual west end divided into 3 bays by 4 giant Tuscan pilasters which support a massive entablature with triglyph and metope frieze; the centre bay of the facade is wider than the ends and recessed, with flat-arched entrances on its returns; above the centre bay is plain pediment with gable coping. There is a metal cross to peak of pediment and a bell cote behind. To either side of the centre recess is a flat-arched entrance with a wide lintel treated as an entablature having a triglyph and metope frieze; this entrance is set into an aedicule consisting of a pair of fluted Tuscan pilasters, entablature, and pediment with raking cornice, all executed in stucco cement. Above each aedicule is a roundel, the left with the monogram topped by a crown, mark of the architect LA Mackintosh; the right bears the symbol of the dedication saint, the eagle; both roundels in white on a blue field. Side walls and rear in purplish-brown brick laid in English bond; tall camber-arched windows with gauged brick lintels light the nave and gallery. Single-storey vestry off right return articulated by Tuscan pilastrade. Stone at foot of right return reads: "This Corner Stone placed on October 15th, 1838. [obscured] M. Wagner. Architect [obscured]" INTERIOR: entrance to chancel, which is now partly obscured by Greek iconostasis, flat arched through antae supporting an entablature. Wood reredos built as memorial to 1914-1918 war: panelled with pilasters of Composite order, segmental pediment over centre. Gallery around 3 sides supported on 10 cast-iron Doric columns; responds to the east wall; gallery fronts treated as plain entablature with parapet. The broadly splayed windows are bisected by the galleries and filled with opaque glass. The plain walls terminate in an entablature with broad soffit. The flat ceiling is divided into 9 panels by broad, shallow beams; the centre panel is the largest and ornamented with an octagonal pattern; the remaining ones are subdivided into geometric figures. The nave benches, which date from the mid to late C19, are arranged so as to form a centre and side aisles. At the north-east corner of the nave a wood pulpit of mid C19 and opposite the chancel under the gallery is an 8-sided stone baptismal font with wood cover and wrought-iron rail: the latter 2 features are in the Gothic Revival style. The organ is located in the centre of the west gallery. In front of it, fixed to a railing, are the Royal Arms. Memorial plaques of note include: Sophia Jackson, ob. 1845, and Caroline Drummond, ob. 1868 both on west wall; on north wall to Laetitia Tilbury Tarner, who lived in nearby Tilbury Place. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 30; Dale A and Wagner A: The Wagners of Brighton: London/Chichester: 1983-: 52-53; Guide to the Parish Church of Saint John the Evangelist: Brighton).



Listing NGR: TQ3170504374


Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Guide to the Parish Church of Saint John The Evangelist Brighton
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Dale, A and Wagner, A - Title: The Wagners of Brighton - Date: 1983 - Page References: 52-53
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Carder, T - Title: Encyclopaedia of Brighton - Date: 1990 - Page References: 30

Map

National Grid Reference: TQ 31705 04374


© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2011. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2014 at 06:48:34.