HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > The National Heritage List for England Result

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MECCA BINGO

List Entry Number: 1381793

Location

MECCA BINGO, 52-58, MIDDLE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: 
District: The City of Brighton and Hove
District Type: Unitary Authority
Parish: 

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1985

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Aug-1999


Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482157


Asset Groupings

This List entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.


List Entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details


BRIGHTON

TQ3004SE MIDDLE STREET
577-1/39/520 (East side)
20/12/85 Nos.52-58 (Consecutive)
Mecca Bingo
(Formerly Listed as:
MIDDLE STREET
Nos.52-58
Former Hippodrome)

II*

Brighton ice rink, now bingo hall. Opened in 1897. Enlarged
and converted into a circus and theatre called The Hippodrome
in 1901, architect Frank Matcham; further enlarged by the
addition of 2 houses to the north in 1939. Probably brick,
stone, and/or terracotta all now painted, and the greater part
of the building now rendered; roof obscured by parapet. Apart
from the 1939 enlargement, the building is symmetrical and
laid out on a long front along Middle Street; there are 3
elements.
EXTERIOR: the central part under a lean-to roof consists
essentially of 3 elliptical arches at the centre with fluted
pilasters, pulvinated frieze and moulded archivolt; the 2
outer arches give onto flat-arched entrances; the central arch
encloses a window with sidelights and fanlight, all with
decorative leaded glass; in the sides of the 2 porches are
decorative panels of opalescent glass lettered 'HIPPODROME'.
On either side of this porch, one flat-arched window with
central mullion; cornice of egg-and-dart moulding; the
building rises at the back above the lean-to roof with a
central panel lettered 'HIPPODROME' set forward; dentil and
modillion cornice; blocking course, raised at the centre and
now much altered.
Flanking the centre are 3-storey tower-like elements with a
flat-arched entrance at the bottom, the entrance framed by
pilasters, cornice and pediment and having panelled door of
original design; 2 flat-arched windows above and one door
above that; on the inner side is what looks like a large
chimneystack, now finished off with new brickwork to the
parapet.
The outer elements are a pair of single-storey entrances; the
entrance itself 4-centred, the mouldings dying into a chamfer
at the side; panelled doors of original design to the
left-hand entrance and original 3-sided decorative lamps
above; entrances framed by blocked Ionic engaged columns with
pulvinated frieze and modillion cornice; the columns continue
as engaged blocked antae above the cornice flanking a broad
cartouche, the outline of which is marked by putti and
scrolls; egg-and-dart moulding to cornice; the upper floor set
well back.
INTERIOR: vestibule ceiling decorated with panels of
arabesques. The auditorium is horseshoe-shaped in plan and the
floor has been raised to accommodate a bingo hall; this runs
through proscenium arch over former stage. The ornate
decorations in modelled plaster make frequent use of Rococo
forms. Proscenium arch with architrave having egg-and-dart
moulding; shallow curved pediment over filled with a shell
cartouche with Brighton's dolphins intertwined and flanked by
female emblematic figures; blank balustrades either side of
the pediment and 3 lunettes above filled with musical emblems
in the centre and vases and arabesques to either side; 2 tiers
of boxes formerly to either side, the upper boxes now only
complete, flanked by pilasters with entablature and ribbed
onion dome flanked by consoles and urns; the fronts of the
boxes and of the gallery are decorated with cartouches,
garlands and pendants. The ceiling is divided into radiating
segments, each segment being subdivided into 3 panels
decorated with shell and other Rococo motifs, the ribs between
treated as a double console bracket between the outer and
middle panels; central rose with arcaded lantern.
(Carder T: The Encyclopedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-).






Listing NGR: TQ3091204112


Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Carder, T - Title: Encyclopaedia of Brighton - Date: 1990

Map

National Grid Reference: TQ 30912 04112


© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2011. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 03:57:05.