HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > HE PastScape Result
View this record on HE PastScapePrintable version | About HE PastScape | Visit HE PastScape online...

Foggintor Granite Quarry
County: Devon
District: WEST DEVON
Parish: DARTMOOR FOREST
Monument Number: ( SX 57 SE 255 )
POST MEDIEVAL   BLAST SHELTER   1823 - 1900
POST MEDIEVAL   CRANE   1823 - 1900
POST MEDIEVAL   DRESSING SHED   1823 - 1900
POST MEDIEVAL   FORGE   1823 - 1900
POST MEDIEVAL   GRANITE QUARRY   1823 - 1900
POST MEDIEVAL   MAGAZINE   1823 - 1900
POST MEDIEVAL   MINE BUILDING   1823 - 1900
POST MEDIEVAL   SPOIL HEAP   1823 - 1900
POST MEDIEVAL   TRAMWAY   1823 - 1900
POST MEDIEVAL   WORKERS COTTAGE   1823 - 1900
Large granite quarry opened in 1823 by Sir Thomas Tyrwhitt following the opening of his Plymouth and Dartmoor horse-drawn railway. The viability of the quarry, which is the furthest from any shipping port, owed much to its transport network, and the foundation of Princetown at that time. Much of Princetown including the later prison, was created using stone from this quarry. There are extensive remains, including a blast shelter, crane bases, tramways, and evidence of `plug and feather' working. The multi-finger spoil heaps are masive. In 1861, there were 183 workers and theier families here. At least 30 workers cottages survive, although the ruins are difficult to interpret except for the isolated group to the North. A Wesleyan Chapel was built here in 1883.

Sources
English Heritage Monuments Protection Programme Industrial Monuments Assessment, Step 3 Reports
The Quarrying Industries, 2000, Devon 4a