HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > HE PastScape Result
View this record on HE PastScapePrintable version | About HE PastScape | Visit HE PastScape online...

Sir John Moore Grammar School
County: Leicestershire
District: NORTH WEST LEICESTERSHIRE
Parish: APPLEBY MAGNA
Monument Number: ( SK 30 NW 6 )
STUART   BOARDING SCHOOL   1693 - 1697
STUART   BOUNDARY WALL   1693 - 1697
STUART   GATE   1693 - 1697
STUART   GRAMMAR SCHOOL   1693 - 1697
STUART   PIER   1693 - 1697
STUART   STATUE   1706 - 1706
GEORGIAN   BOARDING SCHOOL   1786 - 1786
GEORGIAN   GRAMMAR SCHOOL   1786 - 1786
VICTORIAN   BOARDING SCHOOL   1900 - 1900
VICTORIAN   GRAMMAR SCHOOL   1900 - 1900
20TH CENTURY   CHURCH SCHOOL   1901 - 2000
20TH CENTURY   ELEMENTARY SCHOOL   1901 - 2000
A 17th century grammar school. The school was founded by Sir John Moore, Lord Mayor of London, and was built between 1693 and 1697 by the architect Sir William Wilson based on an original design by Sir Christopher Wren. It is constructed of red brick with stone dressings, quoins, string courses and leaded and transom windows. The building is composed of a central section of two storeys and five windows wide, which is recessed behind an arcade. To both sides of the central section is a crossing side wing of two windows each and three storeys. The arcade of the central section has five round arches with stone dressings. Above the arcade are five tall windows. The upper floor has five circular windows of which the central contains a clock dial. On the roof the building features a large central circular wood and leaded lantern with dome and ball finial. The clock bell is inscribed I. S. 1585. In circa 1900 a two-storey wing was erected in a similar style. The rear of the building is similar to the front facade. Inside the great hall is the centre of the building and it is decorated with oak panelled dado carved with scholars names and dates. A life-size statue of Sir John Moore in Alderman's dress by Wilson is placed in a niche. The wings housed the English and Writing schools. Above them were the headmaster's and second master's quarters. The building now houses the Sir John Moore Church of England Primary School.

Sources
Field Investigators Comments
F1 BHS 29-JUN-72
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
District of North West Leicestershire, 16-DEC-1952
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
District of North West Leicestershire, 20-DEC-1983
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
District of North West Leicestershire, 24-NOV-1965
Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
OS 6" 1967
General Reference
B of E Leic & Rut 1960 48 (N Pevsner)
The English School. Its architecture and organization 1370-1870Malcolm Seaborne
Leicestershire and Rutlandby Nikolaus Pevsner ; revised by Elizabeth Williamson with Geoffrey K Brandwood
England's Schools. History, architecture and adaptationElain Harwood