HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Gloucestershire County Council: Historic Environment Record Result
Gloucestershire County Council: Historic Environment RecordPrintable version | About Gloucestershire County Council: Historic Environment Record | Visit Gloucestershire County Council: Historic Environment Record online...


Wick Court is a moated 17th century house, now a farmhouse. It is located on Overton Lane and the remains of a medieval to post medieval ditch are visible as earthworks, Arlingham.
County: Gloucestershire
District: STROUD
Parish: ARLINGHAM
NGR: SO 73 10
Monument Number: 5291
HER 5291 DESCRIPTION:-
Wick Court, now a farmhouse, is a remote and almost untouched Elizabethan House once used by the Lords of Berkeley and visited by Elizabeth I. Stands on site dating back to C13. A fine Elizabethan house surrounded by partially waterfilled moat. {Source Work 862.}
It is visible on the Severn-Trent vertical aerial photograph surrounded by an orchard and extant ridge and furrow. The moat can be traced as a tree line and a short waterfilled section is visible north of Wick Court. {Source Work 566.}
A country house, probably dating to the early 16th century and enlarged to the north around 1600. The rear appears to be stone with roughcast face, originally possibly timber-framed, with the remainder in brick-faced rubble stone. It has a double range with two-storeys and attic. See Source Work 1004 for detailed listing information.
1996 - An archaeological evaluation of Arlingham Court and its environs was undertaken by Bath Archaeological Trust in 1996. Four trenches were excavated outside the house. It seems as though the creation of the farmyard surface in the early C19 involved the lowering and obliteration of the C15-C18 ground surface as (as also occurred inside the house), although a well with C15-C17 pottery in its upper fill and a preserved early soil horizon from which a sherd of C12-C13 pottery was obtained suggests that other early features may be preserved beneath the farmyard surface. Four trenches were excavated within the house. Evidence from the dining room indicates that the Pennant floor slabs were laid c.1800 and are associated with a modernising of the building. No floor levels associated with the C15 house survive, although occupation levels of the C12 - early C13, predating the existing house survive just below the Pennant slab floor. The C17 dairy floor level remains and late medieval horizons survive below this. {Source Works 5132 & 10898.}
1997 - An archaeological watching brief was carried out by Gloucestershire County Council Archaeology Service at Wick Court on 11/12/1997. This was in connection with groundworks involved in the installation of an electricity pole and associated staywire on the bank running alongside the outer edge of the moat on its SE side. The extent of the excavation was 2 holes 1.5m by 0.55m by 1.8m deep. The bank was no doubt composed of moat upcast. The evidence obtained from a modest excavation area of 1.65 square metres suggested dredging in C18-C19. However, nothing to illustrate earlier construction was found. The site archive has been stored at the Museum in the Park, Stroud under accession number 2003/7. {Source Work 4395.}
2008 Severn RCZA NMP
Wick Court, a moated 17th century house, later a farmhouse, stands on a site which has evidence of habitation dating from possibly the 12th century. The earliest excavated building on the site was a a square stone tower base, possibly a watch tower, with a small timbered hall house and separate kitchen block (pottery dating to the 12th century was found during excavations outside the kitchen door). In the 13th century a more substantial stone built hall was erected and it is also from this period that the moat probably dates. The house was altered in the 15th and 16th centuries with wings added, floors inserted and walls removed. Around 1600 the substantial rebuilding took place when a new front block was added, the surviving rear portion being of early 16th century date. The rear section is of stone with a roughcast face, originally possibly timber framed, with the remainder of the house of brick faced stone rubble. There is a plain tile roof to the rear with the later front block stone slated. The house in now occupied by the charity Farms for City Children.
An interrupted Medieval and Post Medieval moat ditch and part of an exterior earthwork bank has been mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1946 and is still visible in 1970. {Source Work 4249.}

Monuments
MOAT(MEDIEVALto21ST CENTURY)
MANOR(MEDIEVALto21ST CENTURY)
RIDGE AND FURROW(MEDIEVAL)
FARMHOUSE(POST MEDIEVALto21ST CENTURY)

Protection Status

Sources and further reading
75;Cox JC;1949;Gloucestershire (Little Guides);Vol:0;
862;Ordnance Survey;unknown;Vol:0;
566;Pencol;1983;Vol:0;
484;Historic Environment Record;various;Vol:0;
1032;Rawes B (Ed);1978;TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY;Vol:96;Page(s):83-90;
2850;RCHME;1995;Vol:0;
4395;Goult DL;1997;Vol:0;
5132;Rodwell KA;1996;Vol:0;
5353;Rawes J & Wills J;1998;TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY;Vol:116;Page(s):191-212;
15251;Various;2007-8;
11256;Chadwick A & Catchpole T;2010;ARCHAEOLOGY IN THE SEVERN ESTUARY 2010 ANNUAL REPORT OF THE SEVERN ESTUARY LEVELS RESEARCH COMMITTEE;Vol:21;Page(s):47-80;
4249;Historic England;Various;Vol:0;
863;RAF;1946;Vol:0;
864;RAF;1947;Vol:0;
7162;Ordnance Survey;1970;
10898;Nenk BS, Margeson S & Hurley M;1997;MEDIEVAL ARCHAEOLOGY;Vol:41;Page(s):241-328;
12270;Unknown;Unknown;Map of Arlingham Parish 1725;

Related records
STROUD MUSEUM IN THE PARK SITE ARCHIVE;2003/7
HER   34407     Listed Building grade II* probably early 16th century house, subsequently enlarged and altered, known as Wick Court, with attached railings and wall, Overton Lane, Arlingham.
SEVERN RCZA NMP;113345
SHINE;GC456

Source
Gloucestershire County Council: Historic Environment Record Archive