HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Bath and North East Somerset HER Result
Bath and North East Somerset HERPrintable version | About Bath and North East Somerset HER | Visit Bath and North East Somerset HER online...

Provide feedback for this record

Name:Ubley Manor House (remains of)
HER Number:MBN590
Type of record:Monument
Grid Reference:ST 53 58
Map Sheet:ST55NW
Location:Ubley, Bath & North East Somerset
Bath and North East Somerset

Monument Types

  • MANOR HOUSE (Manor house, Medieval - 1301 AD to 1400 AD)

Protected Status

  • Scheduled Monument 154: Ubley Manor House (remains of)
  • Conservation Area: Ubley

Full description

Manor House (Ruin), ST52895833.(1)(2)

Remains of a 14th century manor house formerly owned by the Cheddar family and situated two chains east of the rectory, pulled down 25 years ago during the building of the rectory.(3)

Collinson refers to a "capital mansion" at Ubley in the time of Henry VI. The Tithe Map of 1839 shows a large L-shaped house, known as Waterloo House in 19th century, although acknowledged to be the manor house. Now no remains and published entry refers to a small outhouse and well.(4)(5)(6)

ST528584, walling including a 15th century doorway and window on the site of Ubley Manor House has been rediscovered in the kitchen garden, east of the old rectory.(7) The 15th century doorway has been moved to the wall of a new garage and the bit of window consolidated in situ. Bristol Museum have finds from here when the house was built.(8) Site is quite extensive, c50m x 100m beside the new vicarage (date 1830). The vicarage incorporates much stone detail robbed from the manor house. The area of the house is hummocky (under grass) and presumably conceals upstanding remains of the centre house layout. This is due to be developed and should be excavated or at very least watched during building. This scheduling is intended not to cover the area of the house, but only the pieces of upstanding masonry including ashlar walls with windows and a doorway which are all the visible remains of the house - presumably part of the hall.(9) A new house now stands on the site of the old manor house, but the bits of masonry described above have been incorporated in the new buildings or left standing. The doorway has been moved from its original site and is incorporated in the wall of the garage, just to the southeast of the house, and there is a piece of upstanding masonry standing just behind the house - this comprises some walling and part of a window frame.(10)


<1> Map, 1903, - (Unspecified Type). SBN6.


<2> Map, 1885, - (Ordnance Survey Archaeological Record). SBN3001.


<3> -, 1902, ONB (Ordnance Survey Archaeological Record). SBN5996.


<4> Palmer, J., 1966, - (Ordnance Survey Archaeological Record). SBN8991.


<5> Map, 1839, Tithe Map of Ubley (Ordnance Survey Archaeological Record). SBN11986.


<6> Collinson, J., 1791, The History and Antiquities of the County of Somerset, collected from authentick records, and an actual survey made by the late Mr. Edmund Rack. (Monograph). SBN2499.


<7> Neale & Ponsford, 1971, - (Article in serial). SBN17976.


<8> Iles, R., 1976, - (SMR visit card and/or file). SBN20971.

Sources and further reading

<1>(No record type): Map. 1903. -.
<2>Ordnance Survey Archaeological Record: Map. 1885. -.
<3>Ordnance Survey Archaeological Record: -. 1902. ONB.
<4>Ordnance Survey Archaeological Record: Palmer, J.. 1966. -.
<5>Ordnance Survey Archaeological Record: Map. 1839. Tithe Map of Ubley.
<6>Monograph: Collinson, J.. 1791. The History and Antiquities of the County of Somerset, collected from authentick records, and an actual survey made by the late Mr. Edmund Rack..
<7>Article in serial: Neale & Ponsford. 1971. -.
<8>SMR visit card and/or file: Iles, R.. 1976. -.