If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.
|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Royal Observer Corps Post, Stretham|
Summary - not yet available
1. Windmill extant.
2. Opened in February 1962 and closed in October 1968, this post is located in the garden of ‘The Windmill’ at the junction of Cambridge Road (A10) and Ely Road, between the windmill and the road. A site visit in 2001 reported that some of the above ground features still survived, although covered by ivy. The hatch was open, and internally the post was found to be dry and clean and free from vandalism. Some of the internal artefacts remained, including twin bunks with mattresses, one chair (broken), table, folding shelf (with replacement top), BPI mount, GPO wiring and a fuse box. The adjacent windmill was used as the aircraft post from 1936.
3. This site was recorded by N. Catford for the Defence of Britain project, although a NGR of TL50827499 is given for the site.
Sources and further reading
|<1>||Unpublished report: Osborne, M.. 18/1/2002. Gazetteer of 20th Century Defences in Cambridgeshire. World War Two excluding airfields. |
|<2>||Index: Subterranea Britannica. Royal Observer Corps - An on-line survey of UK's ROC & UKWMO Monitoring Posts. |
|<3>||Digital archive: Defence of Britain Project. Anti Invasion Database. |
Search results generated by the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd.