If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.
|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Bronze Age palstave and spear, Burwell|
Summary - not yet available
- FINDSPOT (Early Bronze Age to Middle Bronze Age - 2500 BC to 1001 BC)
- HOARD (1) (Early Bronze Age to Middle Bronze Age - 2500 BC to 1001 BC)
- PALSTAVE (1) (Early Bronze Age to Middle Bronze Age - 2500 BC to 1001 BC)
- SPEARHEAD (1) (Early Bronze Age to Middle Bronze Age - 2500 BC to 1001 BC)
1. Palstave and bronze spear found by Clarke of Burwell.
The bronze spearhead has a blade similar to that of a dagger. It has a narrow tang attached to the base, which has a hole at the end.
2. BA palstave and spear found in Burwell Fen.
3. Possible Late Early Bronze Age hoard, consisting of 2 items, an Arreton type spearhead and flanged axe.
Sources and further reading
|<1>||Article in serial: Greenwell, W. and Parker Brewis, W.. 1909. The origin, evolution and classification of the bronze spear-head in Great Britain and Ireland. Archaeologia 61 part 2: 439-72. |
|<2>||Serial: Council for British Archaeology. 1962. CBA Group 7 Bulletin 9. 1. |
|<3>||Monograph: Pendleton, C.. 1999. Bronze Age Metalwork in Northern East Anglia. A study of its distribution and interpretation. p. 201. British Archaeological Report British Series 279|
Search results generated by the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd.