If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.
|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Roman settlement, N of Burwell Church|
Summary - not yet available
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FLUE TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- SHERD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- Excavation of Burwell Anglo Saxon Cemetery, 1925-1929
R1, Probable Roman settlement found during the excavation of the AS cemetery in 1927 and 1928, is 500yds N of Burwell church on chalk at 60ft above OD. Below the AS graves was found a pit,12ft deep and 22ft in diameter, which was interpreted as a quarry. The upper part of the filling contained sherds of Roman pottery, box and roof tiles, burnt stone, animal bones and traces of wood and charcoal, suggesting a substantial building nearby. See also RN 06764 for AS cemetery
Sources and further reading
|R1||Article in serial: Lethbridge, T. C.. 1929. The Anglo-Saxon Cemetery, Burwell, Cambridgeshire. PCAS 30: 97-109. p. 97 - 98 (plan, photo, ill)|
|R2||Bibliographic reference: RCHM. 1972. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the County of Cambridgeshire. Volume II. North-East Cambridgeshire. 41|
Search results generated by the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd.