If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.
|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Roman settlement, north of Burwell Church|
Summary - not yet available
|Grid Reference:||TL 590 665|
|Parish:||Burwell, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire|
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FLUE TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- SHERD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- Excavation of Burwell Anglo Saxon Cemetery, 1925-1929
1. Probable Roman settlement found during the excavation of the AS cemetery in 1927 and 1928, is 500yds north of Burwell church on chalk at 60ft above OD. Below the AS graves was found a pit,12ft deep and 22ft in diameter, which was interpreted as a quarry. The upper part of the filling contained sherds of Roman pottery, box and roof tiles, burnt stone, animal bones and traces of wood and charcoal, suggesting a substantial building nearby. See also RN 06764 for AS cemetery
<1> Lethbridge, T. C., 1929, The Anglo-Saxon Cemetery, Burwell, Cambridgeshire. PCAS 30: 97-109, p. 97 - 98 (plan, photo, ill) (Article in serial). SCB10507.
<2> RCHM, 1972, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the County of Cambridgeshire. Volume II. North-East Cambridgeshire, 41 (Bibliographic reference). SCB13360.
Sources and further reading
|<1>||Article in serial: Lethbridge, T. C.. 1929. The Anglo-Saxon Cemetery, Burwell, Cambridgeshire. PCAS 30: 97-109. p. 97 - 98 (plan, photo, ill). |
|<2>||Bibliographic reference: RCHM. 1972. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the County of Cambridgeshire. Volume II. North-East Cambridgeshire. 41. |
Search results generated by the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd.