If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.
|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Roman vat, Burwell|
Summary - not yet available
- BOWL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- SHERD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- VAT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
1. Roman lead vat found March 1977, 4ft down by metal detector. Roman sherds were found inside it and large quantities of pot lay all round the field. Decorated with applied strips and moulded circles and zigzags of twisted cord decoration. Somewhat bent but in almost perfect condition. Probably C4. Roman pottery (Samian and Horningsea wares), roof tiles and parts of a glass bowl recovered. Cropmarks visible on the ground in Winter wheat.
See also DN Hall Fenland Survey, site BW 3
Sources and further reading
|<1>||Article in serial: Guy, C.J.. 1978. A Roman Lead Tank from Burwell, Cambridgeshire. PCAS 68: 1-4. |
4th century roman lead vat © Cambridgeshire County Council. Click to open in a new window.
Search results generated by the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd.