HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Cambridgeshire HER Result
Cambridgeshire HERPrintable version | About Cambridgeshire HER

CHER Number:06818
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post-medieval wharf, Commercial End

Summary - not yet available

Grid Reference:TL 557 634
Parish:Swaffham Bulbeck, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire

Monument Type(s):

  • WHARF (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CANAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Full description

1. Cut and wharf. Cut 100 yds long running NW - SE joins a wharf 90 yds long with white brick and freestone retaining wall on N side, terminates as a turning basin 35ft wide and 6-8ftdeep partly filled in. At its NW end the cut joins 2 others one ,the 'Fishpond' 20ft wide and 8ft deep runs SW - NE for 220yds to meet Swaffham Bulbeck lode, the other, the New cut, or private canal 270yds long x 30ft wide runs into the lode further down stream. The New cut was constructed soon after 1821 to replace the previous tortuous route by way of the 'Fishpond' and the retaining walls of the wharf date from the same improvement.


<1> RCHM, 1972, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the County of Cambridgeshire. Volume II. North-East Cambridgeshire, 110 (Bibliographic reference). SCB13360.

Sources and further reading

<1>Bibliographic reference: RCHM. 1972. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the County of Cambridgeshire. Volume II. North-East Cambridgeshire. 110.