HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Cambridgeshire HER Result
Cambridgeshire HERPrintable version | About Cambridgeshire HER

CHER Number:06864
Type of record:Monument
Name:Priory of St John

Summary - not yet available

Grid Reference:TL 585 666
Parish:Burwell, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire

Monument Type(s):

  • PRIORY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status:

Full description

R1, Parsonage Farm. Remains of Priory of St John (NR).
R2, The farm is stated to be all that remains of the Priory.
R3, Parsonage Farm house and outbuildings (see RN 06863). Grade 2.Med and later, incorporating remains of St John's Priory.
R4, Immediately to the right of the Manor House in Malting Corner(TL/590-/659-) where there is a long stone building originally no doubt connected with the Priory of St John, founded c 1100. ...(remainder illegible on photocopy).O1, Parsonage Farm exhibits no ecclesiastic remains; ... The building noted by Pevsner (R4) is described by RCHM Cambs as "Secular house, C14 origin, thought to be possibly a guest-house of the Priory. Not outstanding, see photograph. The Priory is not mentioned by Knowles and Hadcock (Medieval Religious Houses, 1953) and its site or existence was not determined.
O2, ... (previous OS card missing) which building Pevsner is referring, but the description and location fit the Medieval building atTL/5908/6591 (TL 56 NE 58). He also states that "the priory itself is supposed to have been where the vicarage now stands"(TL/5908/6601) but quotes no evidence for this assertion. There are no references to Burwell Priory in RCHM NE Cambs, 1972, or VCH Cambs, 1948. However Knowles and Hadcock refer to a Benedictine Priory at Burwell, Lincs, founded c 1100, but give no dedication (see TF 37 NE 01) and it is probably to this priory that the other authorities erroneously refer.
O3, The only authority to mention priory is Pevsner. Buttressed with blocked perpendicular windows, some corbels and an old circular window with two mullions. See also RN 06864a for building material ploughed up in a field close to this site. For description of Parsonage Farm House see RN 06863.

Sources and further reading

R1Map: OS 25 inch map.
R2Bibliographic reference: OS ONB.
R3Unpublished document: DOE. 1949. DOE (HHR) Provisional List Newmarket RD. p. 5.
R4Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N.. 1954. The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire. 1954, 243.
R5Bibliographic reference: Knowles, D. and Hadcock, R.N.. 1971. Medieval religious houses: England and Wales. 83, 87.