If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.
|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||"The Beacons" Bronze Age barrow|
Summary - not yet available
|Grid Reference:||TL 60 63|
|Parish:||Burwell, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire|
- BARROW (Bronze Age - 2500 BC to 701 BC)
- CREMATION (Bronze Age - 2500 BC to 701 BC)
- VESSEL (Bronze Age - 2500 BC to 701 BC)
1. Two of the barrows on the edge of Newmarket Heath, belonging to the group called the beacons, were examined in May 1846 by a party from Cambridge. In one of the nothing was found as it appeared to have been previously opened; in the other the remains of a British internment, consisting of a rude vase (now in the CAAM), a few bones and some ashes, were discovered.
O1, The actual location of "The Beacons" is uncertain. Fox (3.) lists them among the Hare Park barrow group at the "E end of the4-mile racecourse" but quotes no authority for this. The Hare Park barrow group (see TL 55 NE, various sites) lies near the W end of the 4-mile racecourse, part of which is now known as the Beacon Course. There is a ring ditch at the E end of the 4-mileracecourse, in Newmarket, Suffolk (TL 66 SW 24). Fox quotes Arch J 3 (4.), as reference, which is an account of the excavation by WT Collins in 1846 of one barrow "in the parish of Bottisham, on the borders of Newmarket Heath." Collings states that it is situated on the chalk escarpment, making it conspicuous for miles around. Newmarket Heath does not fall in Bottisham parish and there are a large number of barrows and ring ditches in the area which could answer this description (see TL 55 NE, TL 56 SE). RCHM (5.), also quoting Collings, erroneously identify this barrow with the one on Allington Hill (TL 55 NE 04) which is AS in origin. Reaney (6.) states that Beacon Farm (TL/592-/617-) is "so called from the Beacons, 2 barrows at the 'E end of the 4-mileracecourse'", quoting Fox (3.) as reference. As Babington (1.) implies that there are more than 2 barrows, and places them "on the edge of Newmarket Heath" the names "Beacon Course" and "Beacon Farm" would seem to place The Beacons in the area TL/60--/63--. Likely candidates are the 3 small tumuli shown on OS 1st Edn 1in (TL 66 SW 19), or 3 ring ditches to the W (TL 66SW 21, TL 56 SE 58).
<1> Babington, C.C., 1883, Ancient Cambridgeshire, 67 - 69 (Bibliographic reference). SCB1323.
<2> 23/05/1846, Cambs Chronicle (Serial). SCB1845.
<3> Fox, C., 1923, The Archaeology of the Cambridge Region, 327 (Bibliographic reference). SCB1232.
<4> 1846, Arch J 3, p. 255-6 (Article in serial). SCB909.
<5> RCHM, 1972, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the County of Cambridgeshire. Volume II. North-East Cambridgeshire, 40 (Bibliographic reference). SCB13360.
<6> Reaney, R.H., 1943, The Place-Names of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, 135 (Bibliographic reference). SCB13796.
Sources and further reading
|<1>||Bibliographic reference: Babington, C.C.. 1883. Ancient Cambridgeshire. 67 - 69. |
|<2>||Serial: 23/05/1846. Cambs Chronicle. |
|<3>||Bibliographic reference: Fox, C.. 1923. The Archaeology of the Cambridge Region. 327. |
|<4>||Article in serial: 1846. Arch J 3. p. 255-6. |
|<5>||Bibliographic reference: RCHM. 1972. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the County of Cambridgeshire. Volume II. North-East Cambridgeshire. 40. |
|<6>||Bibliographic reference: Reaney, R.H.. 1943. The Place-Names of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely. 135. |
Search results generated by the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd.