For important guidance on the use of this record, please click
If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.
|Name:||PAR HARBOUR - Post Medieval railway viaduct|
A viaduct carrying the Cornwall Railway across the Par River.
Protected Status: None recorded
Other Statuses/Codes: none recorded
A viaduct carrying the Cornwall Railway across the Par River at 282m 20c. The viaduct is known locally as "Five Arches", and crosses, from west to east - the road, tramway (later the CMR harbour branch), river, and canal. This was the only stone-built viaduct on the Cornwall Railway when opened from Plymouth to Truro in 1859, although not included in the CR viaduct numbering sequence. There are five segmental skew arches on slender piers, with ashlar laid rock-faced masonry to the piers and matching cut voussoirs. Squared masonry forms the spandrels with a dressed string course above, while the stone parapet is brought to course and has roughly finished rubble coping. Three of the piers have two relieving arches (JRS).
Woodfin, RJ, 1972, The Cornwall Railway (Bibliographic reference)
Sources / Further Reading
|---||SCO5068 - Bibliographic reference: Woodfin, RJ. 1972. The Cornwall Railway. |
Associated Finds: none recorded
Associated Events: none recorded
|165670||Part of: CORNWALL RAILWAY - Post Medieval railway (Monument)|
Search results generated by the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd.