guidance on the use of this record.
If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.
|Name:||St. Clare's Well, Hartland|
St, Clare's Well, a masonry structure, earthed over on all sides, which incorporates brickwork.
|Grid Reference:||SS 258 225|
- Old DCC SMR Ref: SS22SE/6
- Old SAM County Ref: 168
Monument Type(s) and Dates
- HOLY WELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Between))
Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, SS22SE3 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV339174.
Visited 29/1/1953. Still used for drinking water. The masonry building over the well has been recently repaired and a door fitted. The back and sides are original, the whole being topped with an earth covering.
Visited 6/12/1978. A masonry structure earthed over on all sides of the front, which incorporates brickwork. Structure measures 1.2m by 1.2m and is in use providing water for cattle. Set into the near interior wall is a small carved statue of a woman, somewhat eroded, possibly medieval.
Department of Environment, St. Clare's Well (Schedule Document). SDV339173.
St. Clare's Well. Philham,.
Ordnance Survey, 1880 - 1899, First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.
'St. Clare's Well' marked.
Ordnance Survey, 1906, 26NE & 27NW (Cartographic). SDV335711.
Chope, R. P., 1921 - 1923, St. Clare's Well, Hartland, 314 (Article in Serial). SDV339175.
Brown, T., 1957, Holy and Notable Wells of Devon, 212 (Article in Serial). SDV304810.
Pearce, S. M., 1985, The Early Church in the Landscape: The Evidence from North Devon, 269 (Article in Serial). SDV336495.
Collings, A. G. + Manning, P. T. + Valentin, J., 2007, The North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Phase 1. Archaeological Survey. Summary Report, No. 566 (Report - Assessment). SDV339712.
St. Clare's well. Philham, chapel site. Masonry structure, front incorporates brickwork, earthed over. Structure 1.2m by 1.2m, provides water for cattle. Set into rear interior is small statue of woman, poss. medieval. Structure repaired c.1950s.
Sources / Further Reading
- Article in Serial: Brown, T.. 1957. Holy and Notable Wells of Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 89. A5 Hardback. 212.
- Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1906. 26NE & 27NW. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 6 inch Map. Map (Paper).
- Article in Serial: Pearce, S. M.. 1985. The Early Church in the Landscape: The Evidence from North Devon. Archaeological Journal. 142. Digital. 269.
- Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880 - 1899. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
- Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. SS22SE3. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
- Schedule Document: Department of Environment. St. Clare's Well. The Schedule of Monuments. Foolscap.
- Article in Serial: Chope, R. P.. 1921 - 1923. St. Clare's Well, Hartland. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 12. Unknown. 314.
- Report - Assessment: Collings, A. G. + Manning, P. T. + Valentin, J.. 2007. The North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Phase 1. Archaeological Survey. Summary Report. Exeter Archaeology Report. 06.22 (rev.1). A4 Stapled + Digital. No. 566.
|MDV7139||Related to: St Clare's Chapel, Philham (Building)|
Associated Finds: none recorded
Associated Events: none recorded
|Date Last Edited:||Nov 13 2015 12:57PM|
Search results generated by the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd.