HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV103568
Name:School 225 metres north of Red Cottages

Summary

A Mission Hall built in 1887 was used as a school between 1896 and 1912, serving the children of the quarry workers who lived in 'Red Cottages' to the south, as well as Rundlestone, Merrivale and the various farms in the area. Now demolished.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 567 750
Map Sheet:SX57NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDartmoor Forest
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishWALKHAMPTON

Protected Status

  • SHINE: Earthwork and structural remains on Walkhampton Common including 19th century Swelltor and Foggintor Quarries, a section of the early 19th century Plymouth and Dartmoor Tramway, later converted to railway, also streamworks along the Yes Tor Brook

Other References/Statuses

  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MISSION HALL (Constructed, XIX to XX - 1887 AD to 1965 AD (Between))
  • SCHOOL (XIX to XX - 1896 AD to 1912 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

'School' is depicted on the early 20th century historic map, but not on the previous late 19th century map.


Royal Air Force, 1946 - 1949, Royal Air Force Aerial Photographs (Aerial Photograph). SDV342938.

The school buildings can still be seen on the aerial photographs from the late 1940s.


Stanbrook, M., 1991, Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered, 95-98, Photograph (Monograph). SDV359884.

An undenominational Mission Hall stood at this location with adjoining caretakers house was built in 1887 (demolished 1965). In 1895 the Foggintor representative on the Walkhampton Parish Council complained that there were around 60 children in his area receiving no education. It was suggested that the Mission Hall could be used as a school and a teacher was engaged. It opened as a school in August 1896 with 41 pupils, who came from the quarries, The Red Cottages, Rundlestone, Merrivale and various farms.
The exposed location of the school meant it suffered greatly from bad weather conditions, and the log book often records children arriving at school so wet they had to be sent straight home again. The school closed in 1897 (due to the temporary terms of the deeds), but it was re-opened and flourished to some extent, with the pupil numbers continuing to grow into the late 19th century. Indeed, by 1903 numbers had increased to 95 and overcrowding was an issue. In 1912 the County agreed to provide a new school and this school closed in September 1912, with the children temporarily attending school at the re-opened Foggintor quarry chapel or Merrivale, until the new school was ready.

Sources / Further Reading

  • Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #63074 ]
  • Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 - 1949. Royal Air Force Aerial Photographs. Royal Air Force Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Digital).
  • Monograph: Stanbrook, M.. 1991. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Paperback Volume. 95-98, Photograph.

Associated Monuments

MDV117448Related to: Merrivale Quarry School (Building)
MDV50704Related to: Methodist chapel / school at Foggintor Quarry (Building)
MDV21128Related to: Remains of Red Cottages, Walkhampton Common (Building)
MDV117447Related to: The Four Winds School, Merrivale (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 13 2018 11:19AM