guidance on the use of this record.
If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.
|Name:||Cottage to south-east of Lydford Castle Keep|
Cottage shown on historic mapping to the south-east of Lydford Castle keep
|Grid Reference:||SX 509 847|
|Admin Area||Dartmoor National Park|
Other References/Statuses: none recorded
Monument Type(s) and Dates
- HOUSE (XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1900 AD (Between))
Ordnance Survey, 1880 - 1899, First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.
Rectangular building with a small extension on the west side shown on 19th century map. A small outbuilding is shown to the north. Map object based on this source.
Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.
Square building with two small outbuildings shown on early 20th century map.
TAVISTOCK GAZETTE, 1967, Tavistock Gazette Article (Article in Serial). SDV233041.
Article dated 24th March 1967. Excavation opposite the Castle Inn in 1967. Also revealed remains of a 17th century cottage.
Ancient Monuments, 1989, Lydford; Ringwork, Castle, Town Banks, Site of Saxon Town and Defences (Schedule Document). SDV351489.
Site within the Scheduled Monument area for the castle in Lydford.
Exeter Archaeology, 2008, Archaeological Assessment of Proposed Sewage Treatment Works at Lydford, 8, Figures 5, 7-8 (Report - Assessment). SDV351460.
To the west of the Castle Inn the Tithe Map depicts a dwelling (coloured pink) with a plot to the west. The two plots are recorded as 'Cottage and garden' on the Tithe Map Apportionemnt. The eastern building was shown on the Ordnance Survey map of 1903 but had gone by 1953.
Sources / Further Reading
- Article in Serial: TAVISTOCK GAZETTE. 1967. Tavistock Gazette Article. Tavistock Gazette.
- Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
- Report - Assessment: Exeter Archaeology. 2008. Archaeological Assessment of Proposed Sewage Treatment Works at Lydford. Exeter Archaeology. 08.31 (6475). A4 Grip Bound. 8, Figures 5, 7-8.
- Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880 - 1899. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
- Schedule Document: Ancient Monuments. 1989. Lydford; Ringwork, Castle, Town Banks, Site of Saxon Town and Defences. The Schedule of Monuments.
|MDV14312||Related to: Lydford Castle (Monument)|
Associated Finds: none recorded
- EDV6171 - Archaeologial Assessment of Proposed Sewage Treatment Works at Lydford
|Date Last Edited:||Aug 9 2013 3:52PM|
Search results generated by the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd.