HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV106723
Name:Esplanade Drill Hall, Sidmouth

Summary

Former drill hall.

Location

Grid Reference:SY 128 873
Map Sheet:SY18NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishSidmouth
DistrictEast Devon

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • DRILL HALL (Built, XIX - 1895 AD to 1895 AD)

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

'Drill Hall' marked.


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

Building shown but not marked. Map object based on this source.


2014, The Drill Hall Project - Charting a Neglected Legacy, Sidmouth; photo (Website). SDV356480.

Kelly's Directory, 1893, records 'B Co. 3rd Volunteer Battalion Devonshire Regiment Town hall'.
In 1914 it records '4th Battalion Devonshire Regiment (Right half of F Co.); head quarters, Drill hall, Esplanade. The Territorial Drill Hall, at the Salcombe end of the Esplanade, erected in 1895 on a site given by the late J. George G. Radford, is a neat edifice of red brick, and has on the ground floor a drill hall, 60 by 32 feet, with a clock over the entrance; the building also includes an ante-room, and an armoury.'


Geograph, 2014, WW1 Great War Centenary - Drill Halls, Sidmouth; photo (Website). SDV356507.

Esplanade
1st Devonshire Yeomanry (B Squadron) drill station
4th Battalion, Devonshire Regiment (F Company)


Walden-Till, M., 2017, Sidmouth Drill Hall Research Site (Website). SDV359989.

The drill hall, designed by architect James Jerman, was built in 1895 on land given by J.G.G. Radford. It was used for a range of activities including meetings, balls and shows as well as being a drill hall for the Volunteer Rifles. In 1920-30 the exterior of the hall was redone in a plain Art Deco style which led to the removal of the original oriel windows and decorative elements. The hall is currently owned by East Devon District Council. See web site for photos and further information.

Sources / Further Reading

  • Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
  • Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
  • Website: 2014. The Drill Hall Project - Charting a Neglected Legacy. www.drillhalls.org. Website. Sidmouth; photo.
  • Website: Geograph. 2014. WW1 Great War Centenary - Drill Halls. www.geograph.org.uk/article/WW1-Great-War-Centenary---Drill-Halls. Website. Sidmouth; photo.
  • Website: Walden-Till, M.. 2017. Sidmouth Drill Hall Research Site. http://drillhall.historic-sidmouth.uk/. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 13 2017 12:20PM