HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV108402
Name:Former Field Boundaries to the northeast of East Manley

Summary

Former field boundaries of potential medieval date are visible as earthwork ditches on aerial photographs of 1966 onwards, to the northeast of East Manley. The earthworks remain visible on digital images derived from Lidar data captured between 2005 and 2010.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 994 124
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishHalberton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishHALBERTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FIELD BOUNDARY (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

The former field boundaries are partly depicted on the Halberton parish tithe map of approximately 1838-48.


Ordnance Survey, 1966, OS/66184 V, OS/66184 V 134-35 22-JUL-1966 (Aerial Photograph). SDV357044.

The former field boundaries are partly visible as earthwork ditches.


Environment Agency, 1998-2012, LiDAR DSM data JPEG image (1m resolution), LIDAR SS9912 Environment Agency JPEG DSM 19-DEC-2005 & 05-MAR-2010 (Cartographic). SDV357034.

The former field boundaries are visible as earthwork ditches. Map object based on this source.


Hegarty, C. + Knight, S. + Sims, R., 2014-2015, East and Mid Devon River Catchments National Mapping Programme Project (Interpretation). SDV356883.

Former field boundaries of potential medieval date are visible as earthwork ditches on aerial photographs of 1966 onwards, to the northeast of East Manley. The broad, linear earthworks measure up to 24m in width and are northwest to southeast and northeast to southwest aligned. The former field boundaries may form part of a medieval field system, although the ditches appear to have largely passed out of use by the time of the parish tithe map of approximately 1838-48. Other parallel earthwork ditches were also visible on aerial photographs and digital images within the surrounding area, although since they are depicted on the parish tithe map, were not transcribed as part of this survey. The earthworks remain visible on digital images derived from Lidar data captured between 2005 and 2010.

Sources / Further Reading

  • Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
  • Interpretation: Hegarty, C. + Knight, S. + Sims, R.. 2014-2015. East and Mid Devon River Catchments National Mapping Programme Project. AC Archaeology Report. Digital.
  • Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1966. OS/66184 V. Ordnance Survey. Photograph (Paper). OS/66184 V 134-35 22-JUL-1966.
  • Cartographic: Environment Agency. 1998-2012. LiDAR DSM data JPEG image (1m resolution). Environment Agency LiDAR data. Digital. LIDAR SS9912 Environment Agency JPEG DSM 19-DEC-2005 & 05-MAR-2010.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6530 - The East and Mid-Devon Rivers Catchment NMP project (Ref: ACD613)
  • EDV6924 - The Blackdown Hills AONB and East Devon River Catchments NMP project (Ref: ACD1228)

Date Last Edited:Dec 18 2014 11:27AM