HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV117447
Name:The Four Winds School, Merrivale

Summary

No longer extant, this purpose-built school opened in 1915, replacing the other schools in the area at Merrivale and Foggintor Quarries and the school north of Red Cottages. Continued until 1936 when it finally closed and the pupils were moved to Princetown. Demolished in 1964.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 560 749
Map Sheet:SX57SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDartmoor Forest
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishWALKHAMPTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SCHOOL (Constructed, World War I to XX - 1915 AD to 1936 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1950-1954, Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV350147.

The mid-1950s historic map shows the 'school (disused)' and 'Fourwinds'.


Stanbrook, M., 1991, Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered, 103-110, photographs (Monograph). SDV359884.

The new school to replace the one north of Red Cottages was built between 1914-15 along the Tavistock Road near Merrivale and had been in planning for six years. It was referred to in newspapers as the 'School muddle in Devon', due to the long list of requests, pleas, protests, appeals, complaints and directions that passed between the Charity Commissioners, the Trustees of the Foggintor Mission Hall and the Devon Education Authorities over providing a school in a 'central position' for the area.
During construction there were strict instructions over where stone could be sourced, over fears that the nearby antiquities at Merrivale might be damaged. Well-built and sturdy, there was a master's house set to the rear which became a private dwelling known as 'Four Winds' after 1936, when the school closed and this name is attached to the former school as well.
The school opened on 19th April 1915 with 55 children run by Mr F. S. Stoyle, who ran the school with his wife for 21 years. In 1931 a grand reopening saw senior pupils transferred to Princetown, leaving the infants and mixed juniors only. The school struggled on for a few years and then finally closed in 1936, with the children being transferred to the school at Princetown.
After being a private property for a number of years, the building was finally pulled down in 1964, as no use could be agreed on.

Sources / Further Reading

  • Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1950-1954. Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Ordnance Survey 1:2500 Map. Digital. [Mapped feature: #76756 ]
  • Monograph: Stanbrook, M.. 1991. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Paperback Volume. 103-110, photographs.

Associated Monuments

MDV5005Related to: Foggintor Quarry, Princetown (Monument)
MDV117454Related to: Former teacher's house, Merrivale (Building)
MDV25566Related to: Merrivale Quarry (Monument)
MDV117448Related to: Merrivale Quarry School (Building)
MDV50704Related to: Methodist chapel / school at Foggintor Quarry (Building)
MDV51400Related to: Quarry north-east of the site of the Four Winds School, Merrivale (Monument)
MDV103568Related to: School 225 metres north of Red Cottages (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 20 2018 1:47PM