HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV19150
Name:MANOR HOUSE in the Parish of Modbury

Summary - not yet available

Location

Grid Reference:SX 656 516
Map Sheet:SX65SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishModbury
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishMODBURY

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX65SE/41

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANOR HOUSE (Early Medieval to XXI - 1066 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV175472.

Hoskins, w. G. /devon/(1954)435.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV175473.

Pevsner, n. /south devon/(1952)207.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV175474.

Anon/jbaa/33 ns(1927)126.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV175475.

Higham, r. A. /the castles of medieval devon/(1979)52/phd thesis, exeter univ.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV175476.

White, w. /history+directory of devon/(1850).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV175477.

Lysons, d. /magna britannia/(1822)341-342.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV175478.

Higham, r. A. /pdas/46(1988)146/devon castles:an annotated list.


Lysons, D. + Lysons, S., 1822, Magna Britannica (Monograph). SDV323771.

At the west end of the town are the slight remains of the champernoun's mansion (hoskins). At the w end of the town are the supposed remains of the once famous champernoun mansion. They stand close to the churchyard (pevsner). Modbury was the home of the champernownes from the reign of edward i to the beginning of the 18th century. A licence to crenellate was granted temp. Edward iii (jbaa, 33). Licence to crenellate granted 1334 (higham). The mansion (modbury house) was taken down in 1705 (white). Taken by a parliamentary garrison in dec 1642. In 1698, the remains of modbury castle were conveyed to mrs sarah champernowne, who sold "what remained of the old castle" for the materials in 1705. A small part of the mansion yet (c.1822) remains, said to have been a dining room now converted into a stable and hay loft (lysons).

Sources / Further Reading

  • Migrated Record:
  • Migrated Record:
  • Migrated Record:
  • Migrated Record:
  • Migrated Record:
  • Migrated Record:
  • Migrated Record:
  • Monograph: Lysons, D. + Lysons, S.. 1822. Magna Britannica. Magna Britannica: A Concise Topographical Account of The Several Counties o. 6: Devonshire. Unknown.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 30 2015 5:07PM