HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV20615
Name:East Lowery Farm deserted settlement

Summary

No longer extant. Farmstead dating to at least the early-mid 19th century, based on cartographic evidence, although may have had earlier origins. Dwelling is depicted on the Tithe Map but not shown on the later 19th century historic map.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 558 694
Map Sheet:SX56NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishWalkhampton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishWALKHAMPTON

Protected Status

  • SHINE: Walled remains of the Devonport Leat, constructed 1795-1802 to supply water to Plymouth Dock, plus a Bronze Age cairn and cist 595 metres north-east of Nun’s Cross and walled field system at Whiteworks Tin Mine and earthworks of Bachelors Hall Mine

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56NE/328
  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOMESTEAD (Early Medieval to XIX - 1066 AD? to 1840 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848, 36/55 on pdf (Cartographic). SDV349431.

'East Lowery' is depicted on Tithe Map (plot number 788 on the apportionment; houses and court). Farm consists of a singled building in a subdivided triangular shaped plot. Map object based on this source.


Ordnance Survey, 1880 - 1899, First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

No sign of the building on the late 19th century historic map; the triangular shaped plot that the house occupied is depicted.


Greeves, T. A. P., 1979, South West Water Authority Burrator Survey, Number 64 (Report - non-specific). SDV278356.

East Lowery Farm. Deserted site. Complex of ruined buildings some probably medieval in origin. East Loworthy is documented in 1585. The area has recently been damaged by tree felling and sherds of 16th, 17th and 18th century pottery of both local and imported wares have been recovered. Not marked on Ordnance Survey 25 inch map.


Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, 1985, Aerial Photograph Project (Interpretation). SDV319854.

Not visible on 1946 Royal Air Force vertical aerial photographs.


Gerrard, S., 2000-2002, Monument Protection Programme Alternative Action Report (Report - non-specific). SDV145710.

Considered under the Monument Protection Programme but not recommended for scheduling.

Sources / Further Reading

  • Report - non-specific: Gerrard, S.. 2000-2002. Monument Protection Programme Alternative Action Report. English Heritage. Unknown.
  • Report - non-specific: Greeves, T. A. P.. 1979. South West Water Authority Burrator Survey. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology Report. 18. Unknown. Number 64.
  • Interpretation: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1985. Aerial Photograph Project. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England Aerial Photograph P. Cartographic.
  • Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital. 36/55 on pdf.
  • Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880 - 1899. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).

Associated Monuments

MDV20614Related to: Higher Lowery deserted farm, Walkhampton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 6 2016 11:40AM