HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV24616
Name:Former Bluecoat School, Castle Street, Tiverton

Summary

Former Bluecoat School, 1842. Became Tiverton Middle School for boys in 1877, and St Peter's church house in 1911.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 955 128
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS91SE/154
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 485244

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SCHOOL (XIX - 1842 AD to 1842 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855 - 1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

'Middle School (Boys)' shown.


Ordnance Survey, 1930 - 1939, Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV336668.

'Church House' shown.


Department of Environment, 1972, Tiverton, 15 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV52494.

No 17 (Church House), Castle Street.1842, G. A. Boyce, architect. Originally a charity school. Gabled stone building in Tudor style.


Giles, D. D. + Strong, P. J., 1984, The Blue Coat School, Tiverton, 89-95 (Article in Serial). SDV339397.

Blue Coat School established here 1842, having moved from premises in St. Peter's church yard. In 1877 it became the boys' section of the Tiverton Middle Schools. Now St. Peter's church rooms. Other details: Photograph p.93.


Exeter Archaeology, 2004, Archaeological Observation and Recording at St. Peter's Church House, Bampton St., Tiverton (Report - Watching Brief). SDV349309.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Map object based on this Source.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

School with headmaster's house to left, now a church house and private house to left. 1842, designed by the architect G.A. Boyce. Mass wall construction with roughcast rendering and stone rubble plinth. Roof of natural slate. No sign of the position of any chimney stacks remaining from the front elevation.
Plan: three rooms wide two rooms deep on either side of central room which is a large hall.
Exterior: two storeys plus attic rooms. Symmetrical three bay five-window front. Central bay broken forward and gabled to front. This projecting central bay has banded cornice at first-floor level and at second. Entrance doors to right of first bay and to left of the third are both plank and cover strip with studding with centre planks glazed half way up; doorways have Tudor-arched heads and dripstones with carved label stops. First and third bays have 20th century small-pane iron casement windows with middle hung lights, except for an original stone tripartite mullioned window with margin panes and geometric glazing bars at ground floor end right - this window has a dripmould. Modern roof lights.
Interior: only partially inspected. Timber moulded Tudor arch doorway from headmaster's house into ground floor school room. School room is entered on the other side via a side passage behind the entrance door in the third bay. Also a three-light window in this passage which looks into the school room. First floor schoolroom has a canted ceiling with moulded beams and carved bosses. Moulded roof timbers are supported on carved corbels.
History: on the wall of the passage inside the building is a wooden plaque commemorating the school's erection in 1842 for the Tiverton Bluecoat Schools. In 1878 the school became the middle schools foundation and the boys school was held there until 1910. In 1911 the building was bought for Parish purposes "at a cost (including adaptation) of £1,800".

Sources / Further Reading

  • Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1930 - 1939. Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
  • Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855 - 1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
  • Article in Serial: Giles, D. D. + Strong, P. J.. 1984. The Blue Coat School, Tiverton. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 116. A5 Paperback. 89-95.
  • Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
  • Report - Watching Brief: Exeter Archaeology. 2004. Archaeological Observation and Recording at St. Peter's Church House, Bampton St., Tiverton. Exeter Archaeology Report. A4 Stapled + Digital.
  • National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
  • List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Tiverton. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 15.

Associated Monuments

MDV89403Related to: Girls Middle School, Castle Street (Building)
MDV42401Related to: Original Blue Coat Boys School Building, St Peter's Churchyard (Monument)
MDV42402Related to: Original Blue Coat Girls School, John Cock's House (Monument)
MDV1369Related to: St Peter's Church, Tiverton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5858 - Archaeological recording at St. Peter's Church House

Date Last Edited:May 24 2012 10:03AM