guidance on the use of this record.
If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.
|Name:||Grey Mare boundary stone south of Buckland Beacon|
Shown on historic maps, unmarked, thin granite slab with pointed end. Stated by Crossing to be in wall, but now standing free by the wall which marks the Ashburton/Buckland boundary. Older in appearance than the 19th century stones erected on Buckland Common by Edmund Pollexfen Bastard.
|Grid Reference:||SX 735 730|
|Admin Area||Dartmoor National Park|
|Civil Parish||Buckland in the Moor|
|Ecclesiastical Parish||BUCKLAND IN THE MOOR|
Protected Status: none recorded
- Old DCC SMR Ref: SX77SW/276
Monument Type(s) and Dates
- BOUNDARY STONE (Early Medieval to XVI - 1066 AD to 1600 AD (Between))
Unknown, 1613, List of Boundary Markers (74/698) (Record Office Collection). SDV288925.
Also document 74/134.
Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.
'Grey Mare (B.S.)' depicted on the early 20th century historic map. Not shown on the late 19th century historic map.
Crossing, W., 1912 (1965), Crossing's Guide to Dartmoor, 346 (Monograph). SDV320981.
Belsey, P. M., 1983 - 1987, Buckland-In-The-Moor Parish Checklist, worksheet and photo (Un-published). SDV345904.
Unmarked, thin granite slab with pointed end. Stated by Crossing to be in wall, but now standing free by the wall which marks the Ashburton/Buckland boundary. Older in appearance than the 19th century stones erected on Buckland Common by Edmund Pollexfen Bastard.
The parish boundary is described in various documents held in the West Devon Record Office. For full details and dates which go back to 1593 see worksheet.
Newman , P., 2015, Rippon Tor Premier Archaeological Landscape, Dartmoor National Park, Devon, 55 (Report - Survey). SDV359145.
Boundary stone, not marked on the 1st Edition historic map, but referred to on the 2nd Edition and by William Crossing (1912) as 'Grey Mare'.
Condition is stable, SX73550 73030.
Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.
'Grey Mare (B.S.)' depicted on the modern mapping. Map object based on this source.
Sources / Further Reading
- Record Office Collection: Unknown. 1613. List of Boundary Markers (74/698). West Devon Record Office Collection. Unknown.
- Monograph: Crossing, W.. 1912 (1965). Crossing's Guide to Dartmoor. Crossing's Guide to Dartmoor. Hardback Volume. 346.
- Un-published: Belsey, P. M.. 1983 - 1987. Buckland-In-The-Moor Parish Checklist. Parish Checklist. A4 Single Sheet. worksheet and photo.
- Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
- Report - Survey: Newman , P.. 2015. Rippon Tor Premier Archaeological Landscape, Dartmoor National Park, Devon. South-West Landscape Investigations. A4 Bound + Digital. 55.
- Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
|MDV30593||Related to: Boundary stone on Buckland Common (Monument)|
|MDV30592||Related to: Possible boundary stone near Buckland Beacon (Monument)|
|MDV31023||Related to: Ten Commandments Stone, Buckland Beacon (Monument)|
|MDV25202||Related to: Wall running across Buckland Common, Buckland in the Moor (Monument)|
Associated Finds: none recorded
- EDV6836 - Rippon Tor Premier Archaeological Landscape survey
|Date Last Edited:||May 31 2016 12:37PM|
Search results generated by the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd.