guidance on the use of this record.
If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.
|Name:||Sequer's Bridge over the River Erme|
Sequer's Bridge over the River Erme built in the 18th century with later rebuildings at the junction of the parishes of Ermington, Modbury and Holbeton
|Grid Reference:||SX 632 518|
- Old DCC SMR Ref: SX65SW/32
- Old Listed Building Ref (II)
Monument Type(s) and Dates
- BRIDGE (XVIII to XXI - 1701 AD to 2009 AD (Between))
Tabor, R., 16/03/2011, Sequers Bridge, Ermington (Report - Watching Brief). SDV359320.
Watching brief undertaken during the installation of an in situ reinforced concrete invert slab around the piers and abutments.
Prior to work in the field a desk-based research identified old maps, air photographs and other documents relating to the bridge held at the Devon Record Office and by the Devon Historic Environment Service. The Tithe Map for Ermington shows the bridge with five arches (Plate 1) whereas the 1842 Holbeton Tithe Map shows it with three, consistent with its present appearance (Figure 2; Plate 2).
No evidence was found for an earlier bridge and two episodes of revetting on the river banks clearly post date its foundation. The only find was a plastic top from a sweet tube in (108), testifying to the recent formation of even relatively low riverine silts. It has not been retained.
Department of Environment, 1984, Holbeton, 43 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV160011.
Sequer's Bridge. Road bridge over the River Erme. Late 18C or a rebuilding of the 1794 bridge in mid 19C. Ashlar. Three spans with round arches. The piers have stepped cutwaters on both upstream and downstream sides. Shallow pilasters rising from the cutwaters into the parapet which has rounded stone coping.
English Heritage, 1984, Holbeton, LBS No 100399 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV324112.
Sequer's Bridge. According to James Green, the Surveyor of Bridges for Devon, Sequer's Bridge was rebuilt in 1794. It appears to have been rebuilt again, possibly in mid 19C. Reference. C. Henderson and E. Jervoise - 'Old Devon Bridges', page 24.
Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.
Map object based on this source.
Sources / Further Reading
- List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1984. Holbeton. Historic Houses Register. 43.
- List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 1984. Holbeton. Historic Houses Register. LBS No 100399.
- Report - Watching Brief: Tabor, R.. 16/03/2011. Sequers Bridge, Ermington. Context One Archaeological Services. Digital.
- Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
|MDV58868||Related to: County Bridge Stone, east of Sequer's Bridge (Monument)|
Associated Finds: none recorded
- EDV6882 - Watching Brief, Sequers Bridge, Ermington
|Date Last Edited:||Dec 4 2015 4:13PM|
Search results generated by the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd.