HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV37774
Name:The Vicarage, Hennock

Summary

Late medieval building, altered and probably enlarged in late 16th or 17th century; further altered and enlarged circa 1906 by the then Vicar, Robert Medley Fulford, a former architect. Rendered cob and stone, with one wall of timber-framing; early 20th century additions in red brick and wood. Wheatreed thatched roofs. U-shaped plan. A basically three room and cross passage plan but with unusual features. Along the street frontage is a gatehouse and a former barn, now in separate ownership as the village hall.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 830 808
Map Sheet:SX88SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishHennock
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishHENNOCK

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX88SW/96
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • VICARAGE (Built, XVI to XVII - 1550 AD to 1650 AD (Between))

Full description

Fox, J., 1946, Plans of the Vicarage, Hennock (Plan - measured). SDV281237.

Plans of The Vicarage, Hennock drawn by John Fox, diocesan surveyor, in 1946. In parish file.


Department of Environment, 1986, Hennock, 99-100 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV299469.

The Vicarage. Late medieval, altered and probably enlarged in late 16th or 17th century; further altered and enlarged circa 1906 by the then Vicar, Robert Medley Fulford, a former architect. Rendered cob and stone, with one wall of timber-framing; early 20th century additions in red brick and wood. Wheatreed thatched roofs.
Plan: U-shaped plan. A basically three room and cross passage plan but with unusual features.
Exterior: Two storeys. The rear half of gallery and staircase are well preserved examples of their period, the former with its original glass intact. The inward facing wall of the older part of the left arm of the U has 16th or 17th century timber framing, the only rural example of this technique known in devon. The kitchen (believed to be the former hall) has late 16th or 17th century upper floor beams, ovolo moulded with raised run out stops. Front courtyard on the north side of the house is an old cobbled courtyard, divided into two by a high rendered wall. Along the street frontage is a gatehouse and a former barn, now in separate ownership as the Village Hall.
Roof structural features. See List for full details.


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

The Old Vicarage is depicted on the modern mapping. Map object based on this source.


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, 1097382 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

HENNOCK HENNOCK SX 8380 - 10/131 The Vicarage - GV II
Vicarage. Late Medieval, altered and probably enlarged in late C16 or C17; further altered and enlarged circa.1906 by the then vicar, Robert Medley Fulford, a former architect. Rendered cob and stone, with one wall of timber-framing; early C20 additions in red-brick and wood. Wheatreed thatched roofs, hipped at the front; late C19 and early C20 red brick chimney stacks.
U-shaped plan, the left arm extended forward and other buildings added in the centre of the U circa 1906. The range at the base of the U, which contains the earliest features, has a basically 3- room and cross-passage plan but with unusual features. These include a long lower room to left with a large chimney stack in the rear wall (possibly with an oven at the back) and a centre room (now the kitchen, probably the former hall) with an axial stack at the upper, right-hand end; in both cases the original fireplace is plastered in. The layout seems to have been altered in late C19 or early C20 to provide a main entrance on the east.
2 storeys. Little of the pre-1906 main front, facing north, is now visible, because of the additions made at that date. The 2 arms of the U project this side, the left arm mostly obscured in the second storey by a glazed wood gallery of circa 1906 with external staircase; The rear half of gallery and staircase are well-preserved examples of their,period, the former with its original glass intact. The right arm and almost all the base of the U are concealed by a 2 storeyed block of circa 1906, but to the left of the latter is an earlier 4-panelled door with 2 flush lower panels and a cast-iron knocker. The inward facing wall of the older part of the left arm has C16 or C17 timber framing, the only rural example of this technique known in Devon (except for some entrance porches and minor details). The pegged, close-studded frame, standing on a high stone plinth, is exposed under the gallery; it has early C20 brick nogging but is clearly early, since a C16 or Cl7 flat-splay mullioned window has been cut into it at one end and then largely removed before the nogging was inserted. In the second storey (now concealed by the gallery) a complete 3-light wood window with flat-splay mullions survives, each light having a vertical wood glazing-bar diagonally set in its centre. Inner face of right wing has a C19 wood casement to left of ground storey, this having 2 lights with 6 panes per light. Above it, in second storey, is a 3 light wood casement, perhaps somewhat earlier, with 10 leaded panes per light. To right of ground storey is a plank door. The gable of the right wing has in the second storey a C19 wood casement of 2 lights with 8 panes per light. The south and east fronts have almost a complete set of C19 wood framed windows with small panes.
Interior: the kitchen (believed to be the former hall) has late C16 or C17 upper floor-beams, ovolo moulded with raised run out stops. Room to right of hall (the "inner" room) has chamfered beam with run out stops. The former cross-passage, which now has a window at the rear end, has a stud-and-panel screen on the right, backing on to the kitchen. It has chamfered studs with diagonal cut stops and a chamfered door-frame with a shouldered head; the doorway has been blocked and a shouldered head door jamb from elsewhere inserted into the middle of it. At the rear of the passage, overlapping the kitchen, is a projection, formerly containing a newel stair, having a 2-light window with chamfered wood mullions. The right wing has an axial stack with fireplace in south ground storey room this having hollow moulded stone jambs.
The roof of the main range has been heightened, but at least one late C16 or C17 truss survives over the cross-passage, this having a notched apex and collar fixed to the principals with pegged mortice-and-tenon joints. Over the right wing is an apparently C19 roof with deal trusses designed in a late C16 or early C17 style, the collars with shaped ends, halved and nailed to the principals. Front courtyard: on the north side of the house is an old cobbled courtyard, divided into 2 by a high rendered wall. Along the street frontage is a gatehouse (q.v.) and a former barn, now in separate ownership as the village hall. (q.v.)
A glebe terrier of 1680 describes the house as containing a hall, parlour, kitchen and 7 chambers, the parlour floor boarded but the hall and kitchen with earth floors. A terrier of 1665 refers to a bakehouse, stable, stall and barn on the premises. Sources: information from the present vicar, Dr A G Lough, Devon Record Office, Glebe Terriers 136.
Listing NGR: SX8301580895

Sources / Further Reading

  • Plan - measured: Fox, J.. 1946. Plans of the Vicarage, Hennock. Digital.
  • List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. Hennock. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 99-100.
  • Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
  • National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1097382.

Associated Monuments

MDV37773Related to: Vicarage gatehouse, Hennock (Building)
MDV86363Related to: Village Hall, Hennock (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 27 2017 3:48PM