HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV3860
Name:Chapel at Morwell Barton

Summary

Fourteenth century chapel at Morwell may have been incorporated into later building, precise location not known. Field to north-west suggested as alternative site.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 445 707
Map Sheet:SX47SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishGulworthy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX47SW/502

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1907, 105SW (Cartographic). SDV336766.

'Chapel (site of)' marked on west side of Morwell. Map object based on this Source.


Copeland, G. W., 1937, Proceedings at the Seventy-Sixth Annual Meeting (Article in Serial). SDV344336.

Morwell Barton. In 1391 Abbot Thomas Cullyng obtained a licence from Bishop Brantynham for a private chapel at Morwell. The present buildings appears to have been erected or rebuilt in the late 15th or early 16th century and subsequently altered to meet the requirements of a farmhouse. What may have been the exterior doorway to the chapel now admits to the staircase hall of the present dwelling house.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1950 - 1977, SX47SW7 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV344335.

Site visit 11th July 1950. The field opposite Morwell is said to be the site of a cemetery, it has a very uneven surface and could be the site of the chapel, However late 19th and early 20th century Ordnance Survey maps show it at SX44547078. Map object based on this Source.


Finberg, H. P. R., 1969, Westcountry Historical Studies, 159 (Monograph). SDV140512.

The chapel at Morwell was licensed for divine service in 1391.


Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 579 (Monograph). SDV325629.


Dyer, M. J. + Manning, P. T., 1998, Objective 5B: Lower Tamar Valley Recreation and Land Management Iinitiative: Cultural Heritage Appraisal, 37 (Report - non-specific). SDV319814.

Licence granted in 1391 to Abbot Thomas Cullyng for a private chapel at Morwell.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

The barn wing on the north-east side of Morwell Barton was completely rebuilt in the late 18th century, and may have contained a separate chapel.

Sources / Further Reading

  • Monograph: Finberg, H. P. R.. 1969. Westcountry Historical Studies. Westcountry Historical Studies. A5 Hardback. 159.
  • List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
  • Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 579.
  • Report - non-specific: Dyer, M. J. + Manning, P. T.. 1998. Objective 5B: Lower Tamar Valley Recreation and Land Management Iinitiative: Cultural Heritage Appraisal. Exeter Archaeology Report. 98.60. A4 Stapled + Digital. 37.
  • Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1907. 105SW. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 6 inch Map. Map (Paper).
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1950 - 1977. SX47SW7. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
  • Article in Serial: Copeland, G. W.. 1937. Proceedings at the Seventy-Sixth Annual Meeting. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 69. A5 Hardback.

Associated Monuments

MDV3884Related to: Morwell Barton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 22 2010 3:14PM