HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV42840
Name:Barrack Complex, Dartmoor Prison, Princetown

Summary

The barrack complex was built between 1806 and 1809 to house the militia detachments assigned to guard the prisoners. It was located within a polygonal enclosure to the south of the buildings and contained a number of barrack blocks and other buildings. The enclosure wall and most of the buildings were demolished between 1906 and 1950 and replaced with semi-detached or terraced housing. Grosvenor House on the west side of the complex is one of the few 19th century buildings remaining.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 588 738
Map Sheet:SX57SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDartmoor Forest
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLYDFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX57SE/177/1

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BARRACKS (XIX - 1806 AD to 1809 AD (Between))
  • SCHOOL (XIX - 1825 AD to 1850 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Barracks marked as an irregular shaped enclosure. No buildings are depicted within the enclosure.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

The 1904-6 map depicts a number of buildings within the Barracks enclosure.


Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 695-6 (Monograph). SDV325629.

A separate walled enclosure outside the prison. The guardroom, now a ladie's club, remains near the walls. A guardhouse, now Dart Cottage, and another block, Grosvenor Flats, now used for staff housing survive.


Breihan, J. R., 1990, Army barracks in Devon during the French Revolution and Napoleonic Wars, 143 (Article in Serial). SDV336175.

The barracks office took over the stone barracks, built in 1807 by the transport board, in 1809. The barracks which adjoined Dartmoor prisoner of war prison held 928 infantry assigned as guards.


Stanbrook, M., 1991, Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered, 75 (Monograph). SDV359884.

Listed in the account books for the Widecombe and Dartmoor Charity Schools is Princetown, which is mentioned in 1825. The school was called the Dartmoor Barrack School and was probably held in the prison barracks, which at the time were inhabited by many families, including those of the quarry workers. A 1840s report stated that the directors of the Froggintor Quarries had fitted up the school. In 1850, the prison reopened and the barracks was required again; after this time cottages at Froggintor Quarry had been built, including a chapel-cum-school.


Joy, R., 2002, Dartmoor Prison A Complete Illustrated History Volume 2 The Convict Prison 1850-Present Day At Her Majesty's Pleasure, 160-162 (Monograph). SDV359843.

Includes plans of the barracks and photographs of the remaining buildings.


Laing-Trengove, D. + Wapshott, E., 2013, Grosvenor House, Princetown, Devon. Results of Historic Building Recording & Archaeological Monitoring & Recording (Report - Survey). SDV352031.

The barrack complex of Dartmoor Prison was built between 1806 and 1809 and set within a polygonal enclosure just to the south of the prison. After the last prisoners of war left the prison in 1816 the buildings were left largely empty and deteriorated. A survey condition of the barracks carried out in 1834 indicates that the floors were generally in bad condition and that the walls were suffering from damp. When the prison became active again in 1850 the barracks were once more occupied by soldiers and warders (the warders to maintain prison discipline and the soldiers to prevent escape). The soldiers left in 1860 and were replaced by the Civil Guard who remained until the 1950s. They were stations in Barrack Block No. 6 which was on the south side of the complex. Most of the buildings and the enclosure wall were demolished between 1906 and the 1950s and replaced with semi-detached or terraced housing. Grosvenor House, Barrack Block No. 10 on the west side of the complex, is one of the few 19th century buildings still remaining.

Sources / Further Reading

  • Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 695-6.
  • Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
  • Article in Serial: Breihan, J. R.. 1990. Army barracks in Devon during the French Revolution and Napoleonic Wars. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 122. A5 Paperback. 143.
  • Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #91495 ]
  • Report - Survey: Laing-Trengove, D. + Wapshott, E.. 2013. Grosvenor House, Princetown, Devon. Results of Historic Building Recording & Archaeological Monitoring & Recording. Southwest Archaeology Report. 130816. A4 Stapled + Digital.
  • Monograph: Joy, R.. 2002. Dartmoor Prison A Complete Illustrated History Volume 2 The Convict Prison 1850-Present Day At Her Majesty's Pleasure. Dartmoor Prison A Complete Illustrated History. 2. Hardback Volume. 160-162.
  • Monograph: Stanbrook, M.. 1991. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Paperback Volume. 75.

Associated Monuments

MDV117270Parent of: Dart Cottage, Princetown (Building)
MDV104798Parent of: Grosvenor House, Princetown (Building)
MDV117269Parent of: The former ladies' club, Princetown (Building)
MDV15309Part of: Dartmoor Prison, Princetown (Building)
MDV117262Related to: Burrator Avenue, Princetown (Building)
MDV51421Related to: Cricket Pavilion, Princetown (Monument)
MDV51416Related to: Cricket pitch, Princetown (Monument)
MDV117271Related to: Former Officers' Club, Princetown (Building)
MDV117267Related to: Heather Terrace, Princetown (Building)
MDV50704Related to: Methodist chapel / school at Foggintor Quarry (Building)
MDV117268Related to: Moor Crescent, Princetown (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6223 - Historic Building Assessment and Archaeological Monitoring at Grosvenor House, Princetown (Ref: 130816)

Date Last Edited:Nov 18 2016 3:50PM