HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV50704
Name:Methodist chapel / school at Foggintor Quarry

Summary

The Widecombe and Dartmoor Charity Schools helped set up a school at Foggintor Quarry after the Princetown Barrack School ceased in 1850. A building adjoining Hill Cottages served as a chapel-cum-school.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 566 737
Map Sheet:SX57SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDartmoor Forest
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishWALKHAMPTON

Protected Status

  • SHINE: Earthwork and structural remains on Walkhampton Common including 19th century Swelltor and Foggintor Quarries, a section of the early 19th century Plymouth and Dartmoor Tramway, later converted to railway, also streamworks along the Yes Tor Brook

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX57SE/112/4
  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SCHOOL (XIX to World War I - 1850 AD to 1915 AD (Between))
  • METHODIST CHAPEL (XIX - 1880 AD to 1883 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Methodist Chapel' is depicted on the late 19th century historic map.


Stanier, P., 1985, Granite Quarrying in Devon and Cornwall, 183 (Article in Serial). SDV342268.

By 1883 there was a Wesleyan Chapel at Foggintor Quarry.


Stanbrook, M., 1991, Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered, 75, 95, 100-101, photographs (Monograph). SDV359884.

Listed in the account books for the Widecombe and Dartmoor Charity Schools is Foggintor Quarry. An 1840s report states that the directors of Foggintor Quarry had fitted up (and paid the teacher of) a spacious school in Princetown for the children of their workers. Probably in the barracks, when the prison reopened in 1850, the school moved to a building at the quarry adjoining Hill Cottages. It served as a chapel-cum-school and the Charity continued to support a few scholars there until at least 1856.
It was used again briefly between 1913-15 when the school north of Red Cottages closed. Later it was used as a workshop and finally became a private dwelling dwelling.

Sources / Further Reading

  • Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #93783 ]
  • Article in Serial: Stanier, P.. 1985. Granite Quarrying in Devon and Cornwall. Industrial Archaeology Review. 7.11. Paperback Volume. 183.
  • Monograph: Stanbrook, M.. 1991. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Paperback Volume. 75, 95, 100-101, photographs.

Associated Monuments

MDV42840Related to: Barrack Complex, Dartmoor Prison, Princetown (Monument)
MDV28208Related to: Buildings at Foggintor Quarry (Building)
MDV5005Related to: Foggintor Quarry, Princetown (Monument)
MDV117446Related to: Hill Cottages at Foggintor Quarry (Building)
MDV117448Related to: Merrivale Quarry School (Building)
MDV103568Related to: School 225 metres north of Red Cottages (Building)
MDV117447Related to: The Four Winds School, Merrivale (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 13 2018 11:20AM