|Name:||Church of St Mary the Virgin, Stifford|
|Type of record:||Listed Building|
|Grid Reference:||TQ 604 802|
C12 and later church.
During ground reduction works within the tower a series of walls and other feature were uncovered. Two flint built mortar bonded wall foundations were uncovered running east-west and linked by a N-S foundation 1.9m to the west of the naves western end wall. The E-W foundations had been truncated by the west wall of the tower and the nave and by the north and south walls of the tower. The N-S cross wall survived intact. These walls must predate the existed tower and it is thought that they may be Anglo-Saxon in date. Overlaying the early walls was a puddled clay and chalk floor about 0.75m thick. The existing tower arch was added duruing the C15 probably replacing a smaller example. Inn the NW corner a Tudor charnel pit was present. These discoveries are interesting as the building discovered must be earlier than the C12 and as the wall contuinued to the east a similar narrow building may have existed. Theses foundations relate to a pre-existing church and may well represent an earlier porch or tower. <1>
Historic Landscape Management, 2002, Mardyke Valley Project; A Brief Landscape History of the Mardyke Valley (DESC TEXT). SEX68863.
Andrews, D, 2004, Early Foundations (Photograph). SEX64964.
<1> Andrews, D and Crouch, B, 2005, The Tower at Stifford St Mary (DESC TEXT). SEX64994.
- CHURCH (C12, Medieval - 1100 AD to 1199 AD)
- The Tower at Stifford St Mary (Ref: ?)
- Mardyke River Valley Project (Ref: ?)
- Listed Building (EH) (I) 1111611: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
- Historic Environment Character Area: Thames Gateway 120
- Historic Environment Character Zone: Thames Gateway 120_4
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: Andrews, D. 2004. Early Foundations. col. Slide and print. |
|---||DESC TEXT: Historic Landscape Management. 2002. Mardyke Valley Project; A Brief Landscape History of the Mardyke Valley. |
|<1>||DESC TEXT: Andrews, D and Crouch, B. 2005. The Tower at Stifford St Mary. |
No image description available © Essex County Council
Search results generated by the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd.