HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Essex HER Result
Essex HERPrintable version | About Essex HER | Visit Essex HER online...

Name:Ingatestone Hall
SMR Number:5298
Type of record:Monument
Grid Reference:TQ 654 985
Map Sheet:TQ69NE
Parish:INGATESTONE AND FRYERNING, BRENTWOOD, ESSEX

Summary

Ingatestone Hall.

Full description

Barn at Ingatestone Hall. <1> House and barn. Barn is 2-storied, brick. Built in the late 16th century, has a porch on the east side. Crow stepped gables at the north and south ends. Windows with 4 centred heads. Inner doorway of porch similar, outer one rebuilt. 4-bay roof, divided by queen-post trusses. The house is 2-storied with attics. It was built around the middle of the 16th century. According to an old plan it included, or was intended to, 2 courtyards divided by the Great Hall block. This and others enclosing the west courtyard have been demolished. Additions were made in the late 16th and 18th centuries. Windows and doorways are late 16th century, 18th century and later, the chimneystacks are 16th century, 16th century or early 17th century. Inside panelling is of the late 16th, late 16th or early 17th centuries, tapestry is mid or late 17th century, there are original fireplaces, some original glass, an 18th century ceiling, an original oak doorway. <2> <6>. The house was built between c1540 and 1565. It had a large, irregular inner courtyard-all but the west side survives, and an outer one represented by the stable range. This was altered in the 18th century ad given a clock turret. Some original chimneystacks. Most of the windows are 20th century reconstructions based on original surviving examples. The chapel was rebuilt in 1860. Interior contains a priest hole. Some good mid 16th century panelling. <3> 'The remaining part of a large mid C16 brick courtyard house rebuilt an enlarged by Sir William Petre between the years 1539 and 1566'. The manor originally belonged to the Abbey of Barking and was bought by Petre after the Dissolution. In the 18th century, the gatehouse and stable buildings were rebuilt. Between 1799-1819 the west range with the Great Hall was demolished. A few small additions were made in the 18th and 19th centuries and much restoration work was carried out in the 20th century, especially to windows. The north range is the most altered. The upper storey of the east range has a fine Long Gallery with original fireplace and floorboards. Some original heraldic glass. Gatehouse and courtyard building/-/formerly stable building. 18th century, timber-framed and plastered, on a brick base, probably Tudor foundations of the stable range. Barn with dovecote, late 16th century. Lodge is mid-late 19th century, brick, in Tudor style. <4> Barn is 100yds north west of the house. <5> Other ref: <7> <10> <11>

Site Management: = During the laying of telephone cables to the north of the drive at Ingatestone Hall, parts of a wall and vaulted drain, both of brick were exposed. Both these are apparently shown on an estate map of 1566, the wall forming the N boundary of an entrance yard called the 'cawsey'. <7>

Site Assessment = 'The house is an interesting, though much altered fragment of an important 16th century building'. <2> House 'is one of the most characteristic of its period in England, still entirely lacking in the systematization which is characteristic of the Elizabethan style and exists in some of the leading buildings already before her time'. <3>

AP <8> photo ref <9><12><13>
The present Ingatestone Hall is thought to be on the site of the manor-house of the St Mary's Abbey, Barking. It is located beside the River Wid, approximately 1km to the south-east of the village. The original medieval manor-house would have been occupied by a steward and farm-worker's of the Abbey. Nothing is known of its appearance except that it was considered by Sir William Petre to be 'scant mete for a fermor to dwell on'. It is probable that the manorial complex would have included the manor-house, barns, stock-yards and fish-ponds. It was demolished after 1539 and replaced by the present structures. The extent of the original manorial holding of Ingatestone is thought to be reflected by the tithe-free lands depicted on the 1839 tithe map for Ingatestone. <10>


NMR, 1985, TQ6598/6 (AP). SEX52455.


NMR, 1985, TQ6598/8 (AP). SEX52456.


<1> unknown, 1960 0nwards, SMR form unknown (DESC TEXT). SEX4.


<2> RCHME, 1921, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 2, Vol 2, pp139-141 (DESC TEXT). SEX183.


<3> Pevsner, N, 1954, The Buildings of England, Essex, p225 (DESC TEXT). SEX83.


<4> Department of the Environment, 1976, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Brentwood, pp52-53 (DESC TEXT). SEX2153.


<5> Department of the Environment, 1985, DOE Scheduled Ancient Monuments, Part 4 (Scheduling record). SEX18251.


<7> Victoria County History, 1903-2012, Victoria County History, Essex - VCH (need to check volume nos for this ref) (DESC TEXT). SEX190.


<7> Wallis, S and Smith, D, unknown, Ingatestone Hall (DESC TEXT). SEX18252.


<8> unknown, 1986, Ingatestone Hall (AP). SEX52276.


<10> Medlycott, Maria, 2000, Ingatestone: Historic Village Assessment Report (DESC TEXT). SEX59456.


<11> Yearsley, I, 1997, Ingatestone and Fryerning: a history (DESC TEXT). SEX59457.


<12> Tyler, Sue, 2000, CP/00/23/5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 (AP). SEX60403.


<13> Saunders, Helen, 2007, CP/07/02/13-14, 2 frames, 02/03/07 (AP). SEX66846.

Monument Types

  • BARN (C16, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • DOVECOTE (C16, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GATE LODGE (C16, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GATEHOUSE (C18, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (C16, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MANOR HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STABLE (C18, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Events

  • SALV RECORD by Wallis, S & Smith, D, (Ref: ?)
  • Field visit to 5298 by Paterson, H, FMW on OCT-1981 (Ref: FMW)
  • Field visit to 5298 by Chant, K, FMW on JUL-1983 (Ref: FMW)
  • Field visit to 5298 by Paterson, H, FMW on MAY-1987 (Ref: FMW)
  • Field visit to 5298 by Paterson, H, FMW on MAR-1990 (Ref: FMW)
  • Field visit to 5298 by Paterson, H, FMW on OCT-1992 (Ref: FMW)

Protected Status

  • Scheduled Monument 1002174: Barn at ingatestone Hall
  • Listed Building (EH) (I) 1187315: INGATESTONE HALL

Sources and further reading

---AP: NMR. 1985. TQ6598/6.
---AP: NMR. 1985. TQ6598/8.
<1>DESC TEXT: unknown. 1960 0nwards. SMR form unknown.
<2>DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1921. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 2. Vol 2, pp139-141.
<3>DESC TEXT: Pevsner, N. 1954. The Buildings of England, Essex. p225.
<4>DESC TEXT: Department of the Environment. 1976. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Brentwood. pp52-53.
<5>Scheduling record: Department of the Environment. 1985. DOE Scheduled Ancient Monuments. Part 4.
<7>DESC TEXT: Wallis, S and Smith, D. unknown. Ingatestone Hall.
<7>DESC TEXT: Victoria County History. 1903-2012. Victoria County History, Essex - VCH (need to check volume nos for this ref).
<8>AP: unknown. 1986. Ingatestone Hall.
<10>DESC TEXT: Medlycott, Maria. 2000. Ingatestone: Historic Village Assessment Report.
<11>DESC TEXT: Yearsley, I. 1997. Ingatestone and Fryerning: a history.
<12>AP: Tyler, Sue. 2000. CP/00/23/5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11.
<13>AP: Saunders, Helen. 2007. CP/07/02/13-14. 2 frames, 02/03/07.

Related records

26556Part of: Ingatestone Hall (Listed Building)

Images

Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone and Fryerning, Brentwood  © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone and Fryerning, Brentwood © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone and Fryerning, Brentwood  © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone and Fryerning, Brentwood © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone and Fryerning, Brentwood  © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone and Fryerning, Brentwood © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone and Fryerning, Brentwood  © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone and Fryerning, Brentwood © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone and Fryerning, Brentwood  © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone and Fryerning, Brentwood © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone and Fryerning, Brentwood  © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone and Fryerning, Brentwood © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone and Fryerning, Brentwood  © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone and Fryerning, Brentwood © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone and Fryerning, Brentwood  © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone and Fryerning, Brentwood © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Brentwood  © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Brentwood © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Brentwood  © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Brentwood © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Brentwood  © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Brentwood © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Brentwood  © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Brentwood © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Brentwood  © Essex County Council

Ingatestone Hall, Brentwood © Essex County Council