HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Leicestershire and Rutland HER Result
Leicestershire and Rutland HERPrintable version | About Leicestershire and Rutland HER | Visit Leicestershire and Rutland HER online...

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


Name:CHURCH OF ST. PETER, MAIN STREET (EAST SIDE), TILTON ON THE HILL
HER Ref:MLE14175
Parish:Tilton on the Hill and Halstead, Harborough, Leicestershire
Grid Reference:SK 743 056
Map:Coming soon

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Early Medieval to Modern - 1167 AD to 2050 AD)

Summary

Medieval church with some evidence for late C12th fabric - the priest's doorway in the south chancel wall and the lower parts of the west tower, with a good arch towards the nave. It was restored in 1854 when a medieval screen was removed.

Additional Information

Listed building description:
Parish Church. The fabric spans from the late C12 to C15. Well coursed ironstone rubble with limestone dressings. West tower and spire, nave with clerestory and 2 aisles, chancel. Tower of 3 stages, with angle quoins. Lowest stages probably late C12 with south doorway and lancet window to west. Lancets also in second stage. Paired C13 lights with plate tracery to bell chamber above. Embattled parapet with gargoyles, and recessed spire of C14, with 2 tiers of lucarnes. Clerestory is Perpendicular, with large 3-light windows with transoms forming 2 tiers. Continuous hoodmould. Parapet. South aisle is late C13 with 3 south windows of 3 stepped lancets, and west window of 3 lancets with foiled circle above. South door is a simply chamfered archway with hoodmould and string-course acting as capital. The porch is probably C15 or C16, 4-centred archway in squared hoodmould with coped gable, and sun dial in apex. South aisle is very wide with shallow pitched roof, and parapet with corbel table which continues across east and west gables. Buttresses capped by pinnacles, and gargoyles, all this detail a Perpendicular re-working. Also Perpendicular is the large 4-light east window. All windows have hoodmoulds with corbel heads.
Chancel dates partly from late C12, with a priest's door of that date, a small round archway. All other details are Perpendicular: low side window to south, 3-light north window, both with transoms. South east window of 3-lights is square headed. East window of 3-lights with transom forming 2 tiers. Parapet and corbel table, angle buttresses. Buttressed north aisle with pinnacles, gargoyles and corbel table below parapet. Blocked late Decorated north doorway, a many chamfered archway. East window of 2 trefoiled lights, the others of 3-lights are Perpendicular.
Inside, late C12 tower arch no longer central to alignment of church, with shafted responds, with stiff leaf capitals and square abaci, and 3 steps to arch. Nave arcades of 5 bays, the south the earlier, and late C13. Square bases to octagonal piers, single chamfered arches with chamfered hoodmoulds with corbel heads resting on the abaci. North arcade is similar but slightly later with double chamfered arches and hoodmould springing from higher corbel heads. There is another carved head at the apex of each arch. 2 of the capitals are elaborately carved: 1 with winged angels heads, the other with creeping
beasts, a lion, a monkey, a fox and a lamb. Nave roof has flat tie beams with bosses on struts springing from corbel heads. The roof timbers date from a restoration of 1854, but the bosses and corbel heads appear to be C15. C18 glazing in clerestory. Windows of south aisle are set in recesses with slender circular shafts, and are linked by a continuous sill course. C18 glazing to east window, and some fragments of medieval glass. Double piscina with fluted basin set in paired lancets. Aumbry, with chamfered 2-centred arched tomb recess. Roof has cambered tie beam supported from corbel heads. North aisle roof is a lean-to with corbel heads.
Double chamfered chancel arch with semi-octagonal responds is not central to nave alignment (the alignment of the church must have been altered when one of the existing aisles was added). Although all the windows in the chancel are Perpendicular, the sedilia predates them and is late Decorated, with 3 cusped ogee arches. Piscina. C18 altar rails, simply turned. Wall memorial tablet, late C16 to Augustin Nichols and his wife, painted marble, with 2 kneeling figures at a Prie Dieu in an aedicule with 12 children, 3 in shrouds, surmounted by strap work with human profiles, and a shield of arms. Large C17 tomb chest with heraldic emblems in high relief on each side, to William Nichols, d. 1625.
Other monuments to members of Digby family, 2 between south aisle and nave, to Sir John Digby and his wife, 1269. Chest tombs with large effigies: the knight is in chain mail with crossed legs and drawn sword. His wife lies with one arm by her side, one hand clutching a handkerchief, and has a very flat face with incised features. Both retain some fragments of colour. Against the south wall is the tomb of Sir Everard Digby, d.1509. Heavily sculpted knight's effigy on base with shields in quatrefoils with inscription.
Stone Victorian pulpit, 1854. C12 font, base with 8 circular shafts and square basin with chamfered corners, carved like a cushion capital.

Project Gargoyle survey work in 2011 recorded a great variety of carvings inside and outside, which are associated with different phases of construction from the 12th to 15th centuries. The south arcade of the nave is late 13th century and the north aisle slightly later (possibly early 14th century). There are two exceptional capitals on the north arcade – one depicting angels and the other depicting the parable of the fox and goose, also with a monkey and a lamb. Nave roof was restored in 1854 but the bosses and corbel heads appear to be 15th century originals. Most of the other corbels are probably 14th or 15th century, as are most of the exterior carvings. However the gargoyles on the parapet of the tower are 14th century. Among the many motifs depicted are two naked male contortionists (on the north and south aisle external friezes).


Pevsner N, 1984, The Buildings of England Leicestershire and Rutland, p411 (Bibliographic reference). SLE4.

Sources

---Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N. 1984. The Buildings of England Leicestershire and Rutland. p411.

Associated Finds

    None recorded

Designations

  • Listed Building (I) 1074839: CHURCH OF ST. PETER
  • Conservation Area: Tilton on the Hill

Images

No image caption available  © Leicestershire County Council

No image caption available © Leicestershire County Council

No image caption available  © Leicestershire County Council

No image caption available © Leicestershire County Council

No image caption available  © Leicestershire County Council

No image caption available © Leicestershire County Council

No image caption available  © Leicestershire County Council

No image caption available © Leicestershire County Council

Chancel, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill  © Leicestershire County Council

Chancel, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill © Leicestershire County Council

Font, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill  © Leicestershire County Council

Font, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill © Leicestershire County Council

Sundial, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill  © Leicestershire County Council

Sundial, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill © Leicestershire County Council

South Aisle, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill  © Leicestershire County Council

South Aisle, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill © Leicestershire County Council

Fool's head label stop, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill  © Leicestershire County Council

Fool's head label stop, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill © Leicestershire County Council

Springer in form of man's head, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill  © Leicestershire County Council

Springer in form of man's head, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill © Leicestershire County Council

Label stop in form of screaming man, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill  © Leicestershire County Council

Label stop in form of screaming man, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill © Leicestershire County Council

Capital carved with angels, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill  © Leicestershire County Council

Capital carved with angels, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill © Leicestershire County Council

Carved monkey, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill  © Leicestershire County Council

Carved monkey, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill © Leicestershire County Council

Tomb of Sir Everard Digby, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill  © Leicestershire County Council

Tomb of Sir Everard Digby, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill © Leicestershire County Council

Nave roof boss, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill  © Leicestershire County Council

Nave roof boss, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill © Leicestershire County Council

Memorial tablet (1638), St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill  © Leicestershire County Council

Memorial tablet (1638), St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill © Leicestershire County Council

Gargoyle, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill  © Leicestershire County Council

Gargoyle, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill © Leicestershire County Council

Wooden roof boss in chancel, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill  © Leicestershire County Council

Wooden roof boss in chancel, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill © Leicestershire County Council

South elevation aisle freize, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill  © Leicestershire County Council

South elevation aisle freize, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill © Leicestershire County Council

Pig's head carving, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill  © Leicestershire County Council

Pig's head carving, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill © Leicestershire County Council

Church tower, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill  © Leicestershire County Council

Church tower, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill © Leicestershire County Council

View east, south aisle arcade, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill  © Leicestershire County Council

View east, south aisle arcade, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill © Leicestershire County Council

South elevation, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill  © Leicestershire County Council

South elevation, St Peter's Church, Tilton on the Hill © Leicestershire County Council