HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:St. John's Church (site of), Wildsworth
HER Number:51257
Type of record:Monument

Summary

St. John's Church was built in 1838 to 1839 and underwent restorations in 1896 and 1908. It is now demolished.

Images

St. John's Church (site of), Wildsworth  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

St. John's Church (site of), Wildsworth © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

St. John's Church (site of), Wildsworth  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

St. John's Church (site of), Wildsworth © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

St. John's Church (site of), Wildsworth  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

St. John's Church (site of), Wildsworth © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

St. John's Church (site of), Wildsworth  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

St. John's Church (site of), Wildsworth © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Grid Reference:SK 808 976
Map Sheet:SK89NW
Parish:WILDSWORTH, WEST LINDSEY, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

St. John's Church (now redundant) was built to the south of the village in 1838 at a cost of 450 pounds. {1}
The church was dedicated to St. John the Divine and was built in 1838 to 1839 of yellow brick by Charles Biggs. Restorations were undertaken in 1896 and 1908. The church has a polygonal west tower with a small spire, and a west doorway. It is now redundant [in 1989]. {2}
For the full description and the legal address of this listed building please refer to the appropriate List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. {3}
The aerial photograph from 2000 shows that this building has been demolished. {4}


<1> Everson, P.L., Taylor, C.C. and Dunn, C.J., 1991, Change and Continuity: Rural Settlement in North-West Lincolnshire, ARCHIVE NOTES (Bibliographic reference). SLI1063.


<2> Pevsner, N. and Harris, J., with Antram, N., 1989, Buildings of England (Second Edition), 2nd Rev Edn p799 (Bibliographic reference). SLI1062.


<3> Department of the Environment, 1985, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 4/56 (Index). SLI6757.


<4> Get Mapping, 2000, Digital National Imaging for Lincolnshire vertical aerial photographs, SK 89 (Aerial Photograph). SLI8381.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Post Medieval to Modern - 1838 AD to 1988 AD?)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<1>Bibliographic reference: Everson, P.L., Taylor, C.C. and Dunn, C.J.. 1991. Change and Continuity: Rural Settlement in North-West Lincolnshire. ARCHIVE NOTES.
<2>Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. and Harris, J., with Antram, N.. 1989. Buildings of England (Second Edition). Lincolnshire. 2nd Rev Edn p799.
<3>Index: Department of the Environment. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 4/56.
<4>Aerial Photograph: Get Mapping. 2000. Digital National Imaging for Lincolnshire vertical aerial photographs. SK 89.