HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:Site of St Mary's Chapel, Holdingham
HER Number:60400
Type of record:Monument

Summary

Site of St Mary's Chapel, Holdingham.

Grid Reference:TF 057 471
Map Sheet:TF04NE
Parish:SLEAFORD, NORTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE
Holdingham, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire

Full description

A small chapel of St Mary existed on or near this site and was present by 1340. It had become ruinous by 1550, although it was perhaps still extant in 1640. {1}{2}{3}{5}{6}

There used to be a chapel in Holdingham dedicated to the Virgin Mary that was present in the 16th century. It stood in the small pasture close bounded on the east and north by the Lincoln and Newark roads and its site was 70 feet long and 30 feet wide. It still existed in 1640 when Holles recorded decorated windows in it. {4}

Trollope is mistaken when he states that Holles visited the chapel in about 1640. Holles was recording the Church of St Denys in Sleaford rather than this chapel. {7}{8}

Trollope's description of the location may indicate that the site of the chapel is slightly further to the north around TF 0577 4732 closer to the junction of Lincoln Road and the Newark road (A17). It is, however, not certain that the site Trollope describes was the chapel site. The exact location of this chapel remains uncertain and all suggested locations are conjectural at this time. The position of this chapel given on the original 1889 OS map has been used as the location of this HER record. {8}


<1> Ordnance Survey, Sleaford O.S. cards, TF 04 NE: 4 (Index). SLI2726.


<2> Sleaford SMR cards, TF 04 NE: CL (Index). SLI3265.


<3> NORTH KESTEVEN RECORDS, NK 57.63, 0, - (Index). SLI2114.


<4> Trollope, Edward, 1872, Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln, p.181 (Bibliographic reference). SLI920.


<5> William White, 1856, History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition, p.438 (Bibliographic reference). SLI886.


<6> Dorothy M. Owen, 1975, 'Medieval Chapels in Lincolnshire' in Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, vol. 10, p.20 (Article in serial). SLI737.


<7> COLE, R.E.G., 1911, Lincolnshire Church Notes made by Gervase Holles 1634 to 1642, pp.213-14 (Bibliographic reference). SLI14662.


<8> Bennet, Mark, 2014-15, Verbal Communication from Mark Bennet of the Lincolnshire HER, 29/08/2014 (Verbal communication). SLI14486.

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1550 AD?)

Sources and further reading

<1>Index: Ordnance Survey. Sleaford O.S. cards. SLEAFORD. TF 04 NE: 4.
<2>Index: Sleaford SMR cards. SLEAFORD. TF 04 NE: CL.
<3>Index: NORTH KESTEVEN RECORDS. SLEAFORD. NK 57.63, 0, -.
<4>Bibliographic reference: Trollope, Edward. 1872. Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln. p.181.
<5>Bibliographic reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition. p.438.
<6>Article in serial: Dorothy M. Owen. 1975. 'Medieval Chapels in Lincolnshire' in Lincolnshire History and Archaeology. vol. 10, p.20.
<7>Bibliographic reference: COLE, R.E.G.. 1911. Lincolnshire Church Notes made by Gervase Holles 1634 to 1642. pp.213-14.
<8>Verbal communication: Bennet, Mark. 2014-15. Verbal Communication from Mark Bennet of the Lincolnshire HER. 29/08/2014.