HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:Sleaford Gas Works
HER Number:60660
Type of record:Building

Summary

Sleaford Gas Works

Images

Sleaford Gas Works  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Sleaford Gas Works © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Sleaford Gas Works  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Sleaford Gas Works © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Sleaford Gas Works  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Sleaford Gas Works © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Sleaford Gas Works  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Sleaford Gas Works © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Sleaford Gas Works  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Sleaford Gas Works © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Sleaford Gas Works  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Sleaford Gas Works © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Grid Reference:TF 076 462
Map Sheet:TF04NE
Parish:SLEAFORD, NORTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

PRN 60660
The Sleaford gas works was built by Sleaford Gas Light and Coke Company in 1839 in Eastgate. In the 1890s the site was extended to the rear, as far as Sleaford Navigation, with new retort house and coal store, purification house, and stables. After introduction of the grid system (c.1960) gas ceased to be made in Sleaford. The 1839 buildings were retained at local base but the 1890 buildings were demolished 1966-8. Most of the original 1839 buildings still survive as three sides of a square. The fourth side was removed when the site was extended. The 1895 buildings were at the south and east of the 1839 site. The 1839 buildings have a stone facade to the road, probably by Kendall, while the rest is brick and slate. These buildings are very well maintained. {1}{2}
The gas works entrance survives as a Listed Building. Built in the mid 19th century, architect probably Kendall. Two storeys in coursed stone. End pavilions gabled with two-storey rectangular bay of three mullion lights each. Slate roofs.
Plinth. Full-height carriage entry with rectangular dripmould beneath crow-stepped pediment with heraldic shield. For the full description and the legal address of this listed building please refer to the appropriate List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. {3}
Sleaford was first lighted with gas on the 1st October 1839, from the gas works in Eastgate. The building has a stone front in the Tudor style. {6}


<1> 1996, INDEX RECORD OF INDUSTRIAL SITES, LI/SLHA/NRW40 (Index). SLI2309.


<2> Pevsner, N. and Harris, J., with Antram, N., 1989, Buildings of England (Second Edition), p 654 (Bibliographic reference). SLI1062.


<3> Department of the Environment, 1974, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 3/105; 8/105 (402.249) (Index). SLI9678.


<4> Wright, N., 2004, Lincolnshire's Industrial Heritage - A Guide, p 50, NK25 (Bibliographic reference). SLI9583.


<5> Page, Christopher, 1974, Sleaford: An Industrial History, pp 12-13 (Bibliographic reference). SLI921.


<6> WRIGHT, N.R., 1972, 'Gas Works in Lincolnshire' in Lincolnshire Industrial Archaeology, Vol.7, No.3. p 43 (Article in serial). SLI12242.

Monument Types

  • GAS WORKS (Post Medieval to Modern - 1839 AD to 1966 AD)

Associated Events

  • Site visit to Sleaford Gas Works, Sleaford

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<1>Index: 1996. INDEX RECORD OF INDUSTRIAL SITES. LI/SLHA/NRW40.
<2>Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. and Harris, J., with Antram, N.. 1989. Buildings of England (Second Edition). Lincolnshire. p 654.
<3>Index: Department of the Environment. 1974. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Sleaford. 3/105; 8/105 (402.249).
<4>Bibliographic reference: Wright, N.. 2004. Lincolnshire's Industrial Heritage - A Guide. p 50, NK25.
<5>Bibliographic reference: Page, Christopher. 1974. Sleaford: An Industrial History. pp 12-13.
<6>Article in serial: WRIGHT, N.R.. 1972. 'Gas Works in Lincolnshire' in Lincolnshire Industrial Archaeology. Vol.7, No.3. p 43.